Gutenberg, again

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17 9:49 PM
      There's an interesting and often well-informed discussion of Gutenberg and
      the Paul Needham-Blaise Aguera y Aracas research on Gutenberg's type going
      on right now on Exlibris, the Rare Book and Special Collection listserv.
      The March 2003 archives of Exlibris are accessible here:

      In particular, I recommend Paul Nash's post, here:

      Nash, notably, cites the article printing the evidence:

      * Blaise Aguera y Araca essay in _Incunabula and their readers_ (edited by
      Kristian Jensen, British Library, 2003) [Co-published Oak Knoll]

      He also mentions citations to other articles.

      Good reading!

      Paul Romaine
      Co-Moderator
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17 11:34 PM
        Paul

        Thanks for this. I'd been receiving the digest but as of late have
        rarely looked at it. I am definitely very interested in the
        Needham-Blaise Aguera y Aracas work. There are far too many pat
        assumptions that have been made about these early types that don't
        quite fit well. Certainly the possibility of experimental and
        alternative casting techniques that may very well have been employed
        in the earliest years of Western printing should not be ignored
        without consideration.

        Gerald