Re: nicht gut

  • crowmedia2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15 1:50 PM
      Gerald~

      I was somewhat dismayed by your report on the difficulty of marketing
      limited edition books, text heavy, clean design. I'm the midst of
      printing an excellent monograph by John Barth with 6 linocuts, Dante
      monotype (Bixler) and binding to be done a Campbell-Logan. It's not my
      first outing, but it has been about 15 years since undertaking such a
      project. The prospect(i) are about to be sent out to a list I've
      cultivated over the years and will be happy to keep you updated about
      the successes or difficuties I run into.

      Certainly the disinterest in books is disturbing. My god, I beg for
      the days when books were considered dangerous, but that would take me
      back to Henry Miller or Anna Ahkmatova's Russia I guess.

      Yes, Designer-heavy intricate bindings are in. Perhaps with the
      current fetishsizing of Mel Gibson's movie we will see a wave of
      pop-up New Testament books.

      This site has been very interesting and informative and I look forward
      to my daily updates. The musical, Gutenburg, was hilarious, but I'm
      holding out for the sit-com, Merganthaler, about a blue-collar
      inventor, whose dream was to make a 2,000 pound watch that could cast
      type.

      James Dissette
      Literary House Press at Washington College
      Songs Before Zero Press

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
      wrote:
      > Michael
      >
      > That might be a bit too much to ask for.
      >
      > As long as I've been in the biz, and my main concern is book
      > typography, there has been the popular clamor that the "book is
      dead."
      > We don't hear that much anymore but I've had college-level graphic
      > design students in the last couple of years or so proclaim without
      > remorse or shame that they don't read books. One has even told me he
      > had never read a book.
      >
      > One wonders how this could have happened in our educational system.
      >
      > Even the recent glut of students and folks interested in letterpress
      > seem to have little use for bookwork, being more concerned with card
      > work or posters and such. Any concern for book work is largely on
      the
      > icon/visual side with words being something to be added, and the
      > attempt to focus on typographic niceties seems an increasingly
      > difficult battle often met with sceptism.
      >
      > In recent years I've also found it much more difficult to sell fine
      > press books where the emphasis is on text-based story and concern
      for
      > typography. It is also dismaying that even special collections
      > librarians and dealers are so into visual and structurally
      > "innovative" kinds of books that there is shown very little regard,
      or
      > even respect, for any other.
      >
      > I believe we are somewhat past the end of that road.
      >
      > Gerald
      >

      > > hmmm... probably wouldn't have made any sense to pick up a BOOK or
      > two for
      > > some research would it...
      > >
      > > --
      > > m | interrobang
      > >

      > > > the two performers said that they had tried googling Gutenberg
      > (gootenberg
      > > > anyone?), but got bored after the first web site and just made
      up
      > some stuff.
    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16 2:51 PM
        Michael,
        Laziness is of old date. Recall Pope's complaint in the _Dunciad_:
        "How index-learning turns no student pale,/ Yet holds the eel of
        science by the tail." I suppose "index-learning" learning was the
        answer of a 17th and 18th Century student to being actually required
        to read a book. (Ahem!)

        --Paul

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, michael babcock|interrobang