Re: nicht gut

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15 12:11 PM
      Michael

      That might be a bit too much to ask for.

      As long as I've been in the biz, and my main concern is book
      typography, there has been the popular clamor that the "book is dead."
      We don't hear that much anymore but I've had college-level graphic
      design students in the last couple of years or so proclaim without
      remorse or shame that they don't read books. One has even told me he
      had never read a book.

      One wonders how this could have happened in our educational system.

      Even the recent glut of students and folks interested in letterpress
      seem to have little use for bookwork, being more concerned with card
      work or posters and such. Any concern for book work is largely on the
      icon/visual side with words being something to be added, and the
      attempt to focus on typographic niceties seems an increasingly
      difficult battle often met with sceptism.

      In recent years I've also found it much more difficult to sell fine
      press books where the emphasis is on text-based story and concern for
      typography. It is also dismaying that even special collections
      librarians and dealers are so into visual and structurally
      "innovative" kinds of books that there is shown very little regard, or
      even respect, for any other.

      I believe we are somewhat past the end of that road.

      Gerald

      > hmmm... probably wouldn't have made any sense to pick up a BOOK or
      two for
      > some research would it...
      >
      > --
      > m | interrobang
      >

      > > the two performers said that they had tried googling Gutenberg
      (gootenberg
      > > anyone?), but got bored after the first web site and just made up
      some stuff.
    • crowmedia2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15 1:50 PM
        Gerald~

        I was somewhat dismayed by your report on the difficulty of marketing
        limited edition books, text heavy, clean design. I'm the midst of
        printing an excellent monograph by John Barth with 6 linocuts, Dante
        monotype (Bixler) and binding to be done a Campbell-Logan. It's not my
        first outing, but it has been about 15 years since undertaking such a
        project. The prospect(i) are about to be sent out to a list I've
        cultivated over the years and will be happy to keep you updated about
        the successes or difficuties I run into.

        Certainly the disinterest in books is disturbing. My god, I beg for
        the days when books were considered dangerous, but that would take me
        back to Henry Miller or Anna Ahkmatova's Russia I guess.

        Yes, Designer-heavy intricate bindings are in. Perhaps with the
        current fetishsizing of Mel Gibson's movie we will see a wave of
        pop-up New Testament books.

        This site has been very interesting and informative and I look forward
        to my daily updates. The musical, Gutenburg, was hilarious, but I'm
        holding out for the sit-com, Merganthaler, about a blue-collar
        inventor, whose dream was to make a 2,000 pound watch that could cast
        type.

        James Dissette
        Literary House Press at Washington College
        Songs Before Zero Press

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
        wrote:
        > Michael
        >
        > That might be a bit too much to ask for.
        >
        > As long as I've been in the biz, and my main concern is book
        > typography, there has been the popular clamor that the "book is
        dead."
        > We don't hear that much anymore but I've had college-level graphic
        > design students in the last couple of years or so proclaim without
        > remorse or shame that they don't read books. One has even told me he
        > had never read a book.
        >
        > One wonders how this could have happened in our educational system.
        >
        > Even the recent glut of students and folks interested in letterpress
        > seem to have little use for bookwork, being more concerned with card
        > work or posters and such. Any concern for book work is largely on
        the
        > icon/visual side with words being something to be added, and the
        > attempt to focus on typographic niceties seems an increasingly
        > difficult battle often met with sceptism.
        >
        > In recent years I've also found it much more difficult to sell fine
        > press books where the emphasis is on text-based story and concern
        for
        > typography. It is also dismaying that even special collections
        > librarians and dealers are so into visual and structurally
        > "innovative" kinds of books that there is shown very little regard,
        or
        > even respect, for any other.
        >
        > I believe we are somewhat past the end of that road.
        >
        > Gerald
        >

        > > hmmm... probably wouldn't have made any sense to pick up a BOOK or
        > two for
        > > some research would it...
        > >
        > > --
        > > m | interrobang
        > >

        > > > the two performers said that they had tried googling Gutenberg
        > (gootenberg
        > > > anyone?), but got bored after the first web site and just made
        up
        > some stuff.
      • Paul W Romaine
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16 2:51 PM
          Michael,
          Laziness is of old date. Recall Pope's complaint in the _Dunciad_:
          "How index-learning turns no student pale,/ Yet holds the eel of
          science by the tail." I suppose "index-learning" learning was the
          answer of a 17th and 18th Century student to being actually required
          to read a book. (Ahem!)

          --Paul

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, michael babcock|interrobang