nicht gut

  • michael babcock|interrobang
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
      hmmm... probably wouldn't have made any sense to pick up a BOOK or two for
      some research would it...

      --
      m | interrobang

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
        Michael

        That might be a bit too much to ask for.

        As long as I've been in the biz, and my main concern is book
        typography, there has been the popular clamor that the "book is dead."
        We don't hear that much anymore but I've had college-level graphic
        design students in the last couple of years or so proclaim without
        remorse or shame that they don't read books. One has even told me he
        had never read a book.

        One wonders how this could have happened in our educational system.

        Even the recent glut of students and folks interested in letterpress
        seem to have little use for bookwork, being more concerned with card
        work or posters and such. Any concern for book work is largely on the
        icon/visual side with words being something to be added, and the
        attempt to focus on typographic niceties seems an increasingly
        difficult battle often met with sceptism.

        In recent years I've also found it much more difficult to sell fine
        press books where the emphasis is on text-based story and concern for
        typography. It is also dismaying that even special collections
        librarians and dealers are so into visual and structurally
        "innovative" kinds of books that there is shown very little regard, or
        even respect, for any other.

        I believe we are somewhat past the end of that road.

        Gerald

        > hmmm... probably wouldn't have made any sense to pick up a BOOK or
        two for
        > some research would it...
        >
        > --
        > m | interrobang
        >

        > > the two performers said that they had tried googling Gutenberg
        (gootenberg
        > > anyone?), but got bored after the first web site and just made up
        some stuff.
      • crowmedia2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
          Gerald~

          I was somewhat dismayed by your report on the difficulty of marketing
          limited edition books, text heavy, clean design. I'm the midst of
          printing an excellent monograph by John Barth with 6 linocuts, Dante
          monotype (Bixler) and binding to be done a Campbell-Logan. It's not my
          first outing, but it has been about 15 years since undertaking such a
          project. The prospect(i) are about to be sent out to a list I've
          cultivated over the years and will be happy to keep you updated about
          the successes or difficuties I run into.

          Certainly the disinterest in books is disturbing. My god, I beg for
          the days when books were considered dangerous, but that would take me
          back to Henry Miller or Anna Ahkmatova's Russia I guess.

          Yes, Designer-heavy intricate bindings are in. Perhaps with the
          current fetishsizing of Mel Gibson's movie we will see a wave of
          pop-up New Testament books.

          This site has been very interesting and informative and I look forward
          to my daily updates. The musical, Gutenburg, was hilarious, but I'm
          holding out for the sit-com, Merganthaler, about a blue-collar
          inventor, whose dream was to make a 2,000 pound watch that could cast
          type.

          James Dissette
          Literary House Press at Washington College
          Songs Before Zero Press

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
          wrote:
          > Michael
          >
          > That might be a bit too much to ask for.
          >
          > As long as I've been in the biz, and my main concern is book
          > typography, there has been the popular clamor that the "book is
          dead."
          > We don't hear that much anymore but I've had college-level graphic
          > design students in the last couple of years or so proclaim without
          > remorse or shame that they don't read books. One has even told me he
          > had never read a book.
          >
          > One wonders how this could have happened in our educational system.
          >
          > Even the recent glut of students and folks interested in letterpress
          > seem to have little use for bookwork, being more concerned with card
          > work or posters and such. Any concern for book work is largely on
          the
          > icon/visual side with words being something to be added, and the
          > attempt to focus on typographic niceties seems an increasingly
          > difficult battle often met with sceptism.
          >
          > In recent years I've also found it much more difficult to sell fine
          > press books where the emphasis is on text-based story and concern
          for
          > typography. It is also dismaying that even special collections
          > librarians and dealers are so into visual and structurally
          > "innovative" kinds of books that there is shown very little regard,
          or
          > even respect, for any other.
          >
          > I believe we are somewhat past the end of that road.
          >
          > Gerald
          >

          > > hmmm... probably wouldn't have made any sense to pick up a BOOK or
          > two for
          > > some research would it...
          > >
          > > --
          > > m | interrobang
          > >

          > > > the two performers said that they had tried googling Gutenberg
          > (gootenberg
          > > > anyone?), but got bored after the first web site and just made
          up
          > some stuff.
        • Paul W Romaine
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 16, 2004
            Michael,
            Laziness is of old date. Recall Pope's complaint in the _Dunciad_:
            "How index-learning turns no student pale,/ Yet holds the eel of
            science by the tail." I suppose "index-learning" learning was the
            answer of a 17th and 18th Century student to being actually required
            to read a book. (Ahem!)

            --Paul

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, michael babcock|interrobang