Gutenberg! The Musical!

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 9:08 AM
      Through the graciousness of Paul Moxon, I received a postcard advertisement
      for "Gutenberg! The Musical!!" Gerald has posted a scan of the card in the
      "Photos" section of the PPL website. If you're registered for site usage,
      you can reach it from this URL, and clicking on "Photos"

      (The site requires registration to keep out spammers trolling for e-mail
      addresses. If you're not registered, send a note to Gerald or me and we'll
      arrange. )

      The card reads in part:

      Doug Simon and Bud Davenport Present[:]
      Gutenberg!
      The Musical!
      The TRUE Story of Johann Gutenberg,
      The Printing Press , An Evil Monk, and
      A Beautiful Wench Named Helvetica

      Written and performed by
      Scott Brown and Anthony King
      [etc.]

      As you might guess, without even seeing the original's typography, this
      two-man show is off-off-off Broadway, at the UCB [United Citizen's Brigade]
      Theatre in Chelsea. Some of my library colleague friends and I want to go
      as a group--I understand it's easier to watch as pure farce, several
      levels belong Monty Python (think: "The Golden Age of Ballooning").

      Paul Moxon told me that, while he didn't expect anything like scholarly
      work, he was disappointed--the two performers said that they had tried
      googling Gutenberg (gootenberg anyone?), but got bored after the first web
      site and just made up some stuff. I'll report back after seeing the show.
      Has anyone else had the chance to take it in? There aren't many theatre
      tickets in NYC for under $10 but this is one of them.

      Best,
      Paul

      Paul Romaine
      Co-Moderator