Novice Questions?

  • Adrienne Coerper - letterpress
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
      I am new to letterpress and just purchased a C&P pilot - but am unsure of the equipment I need to use it - I am doing business cards and announcements and know I need a base (I plan on using photopolymer plates) but am unsure of the size (the chase is 10x6.5) or the best (magnesium?) to use. I know I also need quoins and gauge pins but have no idea what to purchase - can anyone help me sort this all out?

      Also, can anyone recommend a basic letterpress class - I mostly am just interested in basic operations and using photopolymer plates..not in hand typesetting...can anyone recommend a class in CA (southern CA is possible) or any letterpress gurus out their willing to tutor me individually for a fee you can contact me directly at ccoerper@...)?

      I appreciate any help or advice!

      Adrienne

    • Kathy Walkup
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
        Re a letterpress class: Please see recent listing in book-arts_l about an
        upcoming class at City College.

        Kathleen A. Walkup
        Associate Professor
        Director, Book Arts Program
        Mills College
        5000 MacArthur Blvd.
        Oakland CA 94613

        510 430 2001/tel
        510 430 3314/fax
        kwalk@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
          Adrienne

          There are a few places in southern California that offer courses on a
          regular basis to the public.

          Art Center College of Design
          Archetype Press
          http://www.artcenter.edu/atnight

          Otis College of Art and Design
          Otis Lab Press
          http://www.otis.edu/gpage.php?hed=42

          I'm scheduled to teach a course this summer at Art Center on
          letterpress and part of the class is about photopolymer.

          Otis offers an ongoing class on Digital Letterpress that deals
          exclusively with photopolymer.

          Most of the "stuff" you need, quoins, furniture, gauge pins, manuals,
          etc can easily be picked up on eBay for very little expense. There are
          two low cost flatbases, the Patmag and the Boxcar base, that will meet
          your needs for a registration system for photopolymer. It would be
          best to discuss your needs directly with either of these providers.

          In the Links, Database, and Files sections on site here you will find
          further contact information.

          Welcome aboard, and success in your endeavor.

          Gerald

          individually for a fee you can contact me directly at ccoerper@c...)?