Re: [PPLetterpress] roller supports

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2001
      Typically reproduction proofs that were pulled on proof presses used bearers
      on each side of the type form. Any typography shop I worked with in the days
      of hot metal pulled their proofs with bearers, and they usually had the name
      of the shop cast in the bearer so we could tell who provided the type. The
      bearer printed on the paper, but since we used the proof for paste-up, it
      was simple to cut off the excess paper with the bearer image. The bearer
      extended in front of the image area to take the initial impression of the
      cylinder, and the same at the tail end of the proof. That way the leading
      edge of the type or illustration didn't dig into the paper. And on the tail
      end of the copy, the cylinder tends to drop off the last edge of impression.

      36 pt cast rule works, and new 36 pt brass rule can also be had. The brass
      will last longer, but is considerably more expensive.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
      970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
      nagraph@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2001
        David

        If you have plates made with the "bearer strips" placed at one side, with the
        remaining blank area left to overhang the base, this would greatly facilitate
        pickup. Probably not much different than the two-part bearers Allen discussed
        in _Printing with the Handpress_.

        Ger

        David Goodrich wrote:

        > A thought that occurred to me regarding using polymer strips with a magnetic
        > base is that the bearer strips could actually be removed for each
        > impression. Although this would be slow and messy, it could solve really
        > difficult problems.
      • David Goodrich
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2001
          Brian,
          I think a number of people have responded better than I could have. Let me
          just add that on an iron hand press there are no carriages, rails, etc.
          Inking has to be done with a hand roller and it is very hard to do evenly
          without roller bearers. It is also normal, though not absolutely necessary,
          to use a frisket. Although roller bearers will print on the tympan (or
          frisket), I avoid putting packing over the bearers to reduce the impact. A