Re: APHA NorCal Meeting 2/21/04 on Dwiggins Marionettes

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
      Hi Paul

      This is an amazing book. Picked one up in the mid-nineties when they
      were first remaindered. Apparently these were all left in storage for
      so very many years, and then released for something like $40. Quite a
      good catch. Wish I had bought a bunch of them, and wish I could attend
      this.

      Gerald

      > The Northern California Chapter of the the American Printing History
      > Association is pleased to announce that it will meet this Saturday
      Febrary
      > 21st at the Book Club of California at 11am (312 Sutter Street, San
      > Francisco) to hear Barbara Land, the Club's Librarian, on W.A.
      Dwiggins.
      > Ms. Land will show one of the four master copies, assembled by Dorothy
      > Abbe, of the DWIGGINS MARIONETTES. We will also have a brief annual
      > business meeting, with lunch to follow will be at the newly
      restored Ferry
      > Building, and a tour conducted by Kathleen Burch. All welcome.
      >
      > For further information, contact chapter president John McBride at
      510 /
      > 527-1018
      > or JohnMcBride94702@ aol.com
      >

      > Paul W. Romaine
      > web@p...
      > Web Master
      > The American Printing History Association http://www.printinghistory.org
    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
        Gerald,

        I must agree with you about the book. It's a fascinating perspective
        on WAD, both for creativity and a certain "je ne sais quoi" about him
        as a person. There's a WAD anniversary coming up, I believe, in 2006
        and perhaps someone familiar with the Dwiggins archives at the Boston
        Public Library could comment. The marionettes are still at BPL.

        Best,
        Paul

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>