APHA NorCal Meeting 2/21/04 on Dwiggins Marionettes

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
      Please excuse cross-posting.

      The Northern California Chapter of the the American Printing History
      Association is pleased to announce that it will meet this Saturday Febrary
      21st at the Book Club of California at 11am (312 Sutter Street, San
      Francisco) to hear Barbara Land, the Club's Librarian, on W.A. Dwiggins.
      Ms. Land will show one of the four master copies, assembled by Dorothy
      Abbe, of the DWIGGINS MARIONETTES. We will also have a brief annual
      business meeting, with lunch to follow will be at the newly restored Ferry
      Building, and a tour conducted by Kathleen Burch. All welcome.

      For further information, contact chapter president John McBride at 510 /
      527-1018
      or JohnMcBride94702@ aol.com

      Paul W. Romaine
      web@...
      Web Master
      The American Printing History Association http://www.printinghistory.org

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
        Hi Paul

        This is an amazing book. Picked one up in the mid-nineties when they
        were first remaindered. Apparently these were all left in storage for
        so very many years, and then released for something like $40. Quite a
        good catch. Wish I had bought a bunch of them, and wish I could attend
        this.

        Gerald

        > The Northern California Chapter of the the American Printing History
        > Association is pleased to announce that it will meet this Saturday
        Febrary
        > 21st at the Book Club of California at 11am (312 Sutter Street, San
        > Francisco) to hear Barbara Land, the Club's Librarian, on W.A.
        Dwiggins.
        > Ms. Land will show one of the four master copies, assembled by Dorothy
        > Abbe, of the DWIGGINS MARIONETTES. We will also have a brief annual
        > business meeting, with lunch to follow will be at the newly
        restored Ferry
        > Building, and a tour conducted by Kathleen Burch. All welcome.
        >
        > For further information, contact chapter president John McBride at
        510 /
        > 527-1018
        > or JohnMcBride94702@ aol.com
        >

        > Paul W. Romaine
        > web@p...
        > Web Master
        > The American Printing History Association http://www.printinghistory.org
      • Paul W Romaine
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
          Gerald,

          I must agree with you about the book. It's a fascinating perspective
          on WAD, both for creativity and a certain "je ne sais quoi" about him
          as a person. There's a WAD anniversary coming up, I believe, in 2006
          and perhaps someone familiar with the Dwiggins archives at the Boston
          Public Library could comment. The marionettes are still at BPL.

          Best,
          Paul

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>