Future of Photopolymer

  • David P. Wall
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2001
      Greetings everyone:

      I have heard murmurings on several occasions over
      the past couple of years about the impending
      demise of photopolymer as it is used in the
      packaging and flexo-printing
      industries--suggesting that photopolymer may not
      be readily available in the future for our use in
      letterpress printing. Does anyone have any
      information in this regard? Or opinions?

      With best regards,

      David Wall

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • The Indian Hill Press
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
        Folks:

        I wonder if rumors of photopolymer's demise aren't exaggerated. I
        suspect the material is widely used in other fields that we aren't
        even aware of. Aren't rubber stamps mostly made of photopolymer these
        days? (Of a different drive and durometer than the plates we use, of
        course.)

        Dan Waters
        Indian Hill Press
      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2001
          There is much more photopolymer being used for other applications than
          letterpress. The sign industry uses it for making ADA compliant signage, and
          in fact, Castcraft of Chicago, which still casts some type, has a subsidiary
          sign business that makes the bucks for those folks and their primary product
          is polymer signs. Our supplier of plates says the sign business and flexo
          printing far surpass letterpress in plate consumption. They have customers
          who place orders for hundreds of plates a month, but they seem to tolerate
          our plate orders which don't come close to that, and we are making plates
          for our customers on a daily basis. The question that is going begging here
          is what is supposed to replace photopolymer if indeed it is facing some sort
          of demise.

          Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
          1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
          Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA