Re: [PPLetterpress] Plate registration tapper

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
      Peter

      I've got some engravers blocks here but I have no idea how to tell the
      difference between cherrywood, boxwood, maple. Any clues?

      Gerald

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2004

        Oh, I can't claim any real expertise.
        Maple will of course be much lighter in color, often blonde. Cherry is redder. (Which seems appropriate!) Apple wood was also used for type, as were holly and dogwood.

        Let's see what google offfers!

        Here's some useful wood samples... http://www.writeturn.net/woods.html

        The major characteristic for wood type, of course, being the old growth hardwood extremely fine grain which allows the engraver to cut in any direction without fear of raising the fiber from the surface.
        The old Wisconsin hardwoods were amongst the finest in the world, all gone now, but the Hamilton Mill in Two Rivers produced mountains of type and printer's furniture for many decades in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. See http://www.woodtype.org (note that the Ns in this logogram are upside down ;-)

        >Peter
        >
        >I've got some engravers blocks here but I have no idea how to tell the
        >difference between cherrywood, boxwood, maple. Any clues?
        >
        >Gerald

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
      • Jessica Spring
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2004
          Got it--that makes great sense. Thanks for the details--maybe I'll change
          the packing more now!

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2004