Re: [PPLetterpress] Plate registratioin tapper

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
      Hi, Gerald

      Is that 'Securing the cylinder overlay when changing the tympan paper?'
      I can see that would be useful ;-)

      As I'm still in the non-magbase world (and getting more into cherrywood all the time ;-) I haven't had a use for your contribution, but again, I can see where a brass tool would be useful!

      Good thinking!

      At 6:04 AM +0000 2004-02-15, Gerald Lange wrote:
      >Walter Hamady once suggested that his greatest contribution to
      >printing was his use of the rubber door stop for securing the cylinder
      >overlay when changing over (right up there in the top dozen most
      >useful tools for the Vandercook in my book).
      >
      >Well… I recently came up for the perfect plate registration tapper for
      >a Bunting magnetic base. A bookbinder's brass pallet. Since these come
      >in various widths they are almost ideal, and, not all that expensive.
      >Unlike steel tapping contrivances they don't get hung up on the
      >magnetism or damage the base's surface. Get one with a nice thick
      >taper down to its striking surface and with a bit of heft to it. Once
      >you get over the fact that you are permanently destroying their
      >intended purpose, they work great, and the guilt quickly subsides
      >[well, not quite]. So… that's my contribution.
      >
      >Gerald

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
    • Roderick
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
        Hi Peter,

        What are you making/doing with the cherrywood?

        Thanks, Roderick

        Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:
        Hi, Gerald

        Is that 'Securing the cylinder overlay when changing the tympan paper?'
        I can see that would be useful ;-)

        As I'm still in the non-magbase world (and getting more into cherrywood all the time ;-) I haven't had a use for your contribution, but again, I can see where a brass tool would be useful!

        Good thinking!

        At 6:04 AM +0000 2004-02-15, Gerald Lange wrote:
        >Walter Hamady once suggested that his greatest contribution to
        >printing was his use of the rubber door stop for securing the cylinder
        >overlay when changing over (right up there in the top dozen most
        >useful tools for the Vandercook in my book).
        >
        >Well� I recently came up for the perfect plate registration tapper for
        >a Bunting magnetic base. A bookbinder's brass pallet. Since these come
        >in various widths they are almost ideal, and, not all that expensive.
        >Unlike steel tapping contrivances they don't get hung up on the
        >magnetism or damage the base's surface. Get one with a nice thick
        >taper down to its striking surface and with a bit of heft to it. Once
        >you get over the fact that you are permanently destroying their
        >intended purpose, they work great, and the guilt quickly subsides
        >[well, not quite]. So� that's my contribution.
        >
        >Gerald

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting

        � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        � Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        � To unsubscribe:

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
          Well, maybe I meant boxwood.
          I'm collecting wood type ;-)

          Just got a couple drawers from a Ukrainian printshop in Michigan, with hand cut Cyrillic glyphs.

          ciao

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
            Peter

            Well, yeah, sort of. Acts like a third hand when you really need one.
            Keeps the tympan secure to the cylinder when making adjustments or
            replacing. Helps keep the tympan/bottom sheet packet from getting
            disturbed, easier to manage, etc. Also, quite important, prevents the
            tympan from drooping down and snapping off the friction fingers.

            Don't leave home without one.

            Gerald

            > Is that 'Securing the cylinder overlay when changing the tympan paper?'
            > I can see that would be useful ;-)

          • Jessica Spring
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2004
              Gerald--
              Can you describe how you use the door stopper? I can certainly see the need,
              but don't see how you use it.
              Thanks,
              Jessica