Plate registratioin tapper

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2004
      Walter Hamady once suggested that his greatest contribution to
      printing was his use of the rubber door stop for securing the cylinder
      overlay when changing over (right up there in the top dozen most
      useful tools for the Vandercook in my book).

      Well… I recently came up for the perfect plate registration tapper for
      a Bunting magnetic base. A bookbinder's brass pallet. Since these come
      in various widths they are almost ideal, and, not all that expensive.
      Unlike steel tapping contrivances they don't get hung up on the
      magnetism or damage the base's surface. Get one with a nice thick
      taper down to its striking surface and with a bit of heft to it. Once
      you get over the fact that you are permanently destroying their
      intended purpose, they work great, and the guilt quickly subsides
      [well, not quite]. So… that's my contribution.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
        Hi, Gerald

        Is that 'Securing the cylinder overlay when changing the tympan paper?'
        I can see that would be useful ;-)

        As I'm still in the non-magbase world (and getting more into cherrywood all the time ;-) I haven't had a use for your contribution, but again, I can see where a brass tool would be useful!

        Good thinking!

        At 6:04 AM +0000 2004-02-15, Gerald Lange wrote:
        >Walter Hamady once suggested that his greatest contribution to
        >printing was his use of the rubber door stop for securing the cylinder
        >overlay when changing over (right up there in the top dozen most
        >useful tools for the Vandercook in my book).
        >
        >Well… I recently came up for the perfect plate registration tapper for
        >a Bunting magnetic base. A bookbinder's brass pallet. Since these come
        >in various widths they are almost ideal, and, not all that expensive.
        >Unlike steel tapping contrivances they don't get hung up on the
        >magnetism or damage the base's surface. Get one with a nice thick
        >taper down to its striking surface and with a bit of heft to it. Once
        >you get over the fact that you are permanently destroying their
        >intended purpose, they work great, and the guilt quickly subsides
        >[well, not quite]. So… that's my contribution.
        >
        >Gerald

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
      • Roderick
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
          Hi Peter,

          What are you making/doing with the cherrywood?

          Thanks, Roderick

          Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:
          Hi, Gerald

          Is that 'Securing the cylinder overlay when changing the tympan paper?'
          I can see that would be useful ;-)

          As I'm still in the non-magbase world (and getting more into cherrywood all the time ;-) I haven't had a use for your contribution, but again, I can see where a brass tool would be useful!

          Good thinking!

          At 6:04 AM +0000 2004-02-15, Gerald Lange wrote:
          >Walter Hamady once suggested that his greatest contribution to
          >printing was his use of the rubber door stop for securing the cylinder
          >overlay when changing over (right up there in the top dozen most
          >useful tools for the Vandercook in my book).
          >
          >Well� I recently came up for the perfect plate registration tapper for
          >a Bunting magnetic base. A bookbinder's brass pallet. Since these come
          >in various widths they are almost ideal, and, not all that expensive.
          >Unlike steel tapping contrivances they don't get hung up on the
          >magnetism or damage the base's surface. Get one with a nice thick
          >taper down to its striking surface and with a bit of heft to it. Once
          >you get over the fact that you are permanently destroying their
          >intended purpose, they work great, and the guilt quickly subsides
          >[well, not quite]. So� that's my contribution.
          >
          >Gerald

          Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

          http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting

          � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          � Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          � To unsubscribe:

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
            Well, maybe I meant boxwood.
            I'm collecting wood type ;-)

            Just got a couple drawers from a Ukrainian printshop in Michigan, with hand cut Cyrillic glyphs.

            ciao

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2004
              Peter

              Well, yeah, sort of. Acts like a third hand when you really need one.
              Keeps the tympan secure to the cylinder when making adjustments or
              replacing. Helps keep the tympan/bottom sheet packet from getting
              disturbed, easier to manage, etc. Also, quite important, prevents the
              tympan from drooping down and snapping off the friction fingers.

              Don't leave home without one.

              Gerald

              > Is that 'Securing the cylinder overlay when changing the tympan paper?'
              > I can see that would be useful ;-)

            • Jessica Spring
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 16, 2004
                Gerald--
                Can you describe how you use the door stopper? I can certainly see the need,
                but don't see how you use it.
                Thanks,
                Jessica