RE: [PPLetterpress] How to price Metal &Wood Type?

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2004
      It is typical for a printer going out of the letterpress business to hold a
      well announced sale at his shop. Metal type is generally sold by the pound
      in its case. Recent sales have been about $1.50 per pound. Spacing
      material is less. A rare antique font could be sold at a higher price.
      Cases are generally $8 or $10. Wood type is by the font and prices depend
      greatly on the condition and style of the font. A decorative 19th century
      font could fetch several hundred dollars. Newspaper headline gothic would
      be much less.

      You should also contact dealers such as John Barrett or Dave Churchman who
      might be willing to buy the entire lot, or at least what you cannot sell
      individually.

      Your location is key to getting buyers. You should also be able to provide
      an inventory listing as there is much more interest in good body types
      (Caslon etc) and decorative fonts than in the workhorse types used in the
      final phase of commercial letterpress printing (e.g. Brush, Bank Gothic,
      Cheltenham).

      David