Re: [PPLetterpress] inks

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
      Hi Brian,
      I agree with Harold. He beat me in responding. I was about to write to
      suggest you use a type-high gauge to check the height of the polymer and
      backing together. Sounds to me like the inking rollers are hitting the
      surface too hard -- leaves a halo effect, weak inking in the middle of an
      image with extra ink around the edges. I have had no problem with Van Son
      inks on polymers except this exact halo when don't adjust for one irregular
      backing I have. Best regards, Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951
      http://members.aol.com/typetom
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
        Dear David

        On the cylinder flatbed I use 36 point rule as roller supports running the
        length of the press bed for both metal and photopolymer. These run fairly
        close to the rails to prevent ink stray (on the printed paper).

        Like your idea. Probably more practical with the hand press? You could also
        have sets of these made, at various heights of plate thickness, to test how
        each might work with your particular inking practices, and with different
        kinds of forms, type, solids, etc.

        Let us know how it works out.

        Gerald

        David Goodrich wrote:

        > Harold's comments on roller pressure are striking a raw nerve. I print on
        > an iron hand press and have been planning to print some polymer plates using
        > a magnetic backing. Has anyone had any experience in using roller bearers
        > with polymer plates? I have been considering getting some long polymer
        > strips made up about 1/4 inch wide which would be the equivalent to 18 point
        > rules. These could be positioned on the magnetic backing to serve as roller
        > bearers. Has anyone else tried this?
        >
        > David Goodrich

      • David Goodrich

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 8, 2001
            Dear Fritz,
            I would like to buy (at least) three of these one pound cans of
            Hostmann-Steinberg dense matte black inks. Do you have a minimum order?

            I have purchased from your company as both an individual (Turkey Press) and from
            my institution (Department of Art Studio, University of California, Santa
            Barbara) but it may be best if I just sent a check in advance or gave you a
            credit card number. I'll follow whatever payment method you recommend.

            Do you carry any other inks?

            We have a few hand-outs from NA Graphics, but not much appears to be up-to-date.
            Since we have Vandercooks at home and at the UCSB campus, I'd like to know as
            much as I can about what you have around or in stock.

            Many thanks.

            Harry Reese

            Quoting Fritz Klinke <nagraph@...>:

            > We stock the Hostmann-Steinberg dense matte black. We were alerted to the
            > ink by Steve Heaver, and work with HS to provide the ink in one pound cans
            > at $17.75 a can. HS is not at all keen on doing special runs of ink in one
            > and two pound lots, so we typically order large quantities so that they
            > will
            > produce it for us. They have told me that 5 lbs is the smallest they will
            > manufacture and their price at that level is like $35 a pound. It has been
            > our largest seller, and is not even listed yet in our catalog.
            > Hostmann-Steinberg is a German company, but has several ink plants in the
            > US.
            >
            > I have used the ink on our SP-15, C&P, and Miehle Vertical. I have yet to
            > try it on our Windmill. It does make for nice dense blacks, just as the
            > name
            > implies. I find it to be a bit slow in drying, so would allow sufficient
            > drying time if a piece needs backing up. A drop of cobalt drier could be
            > added if drying time is a problem. People tend to reorder this ink, so that
            > is my index of customer satisfaction.
            >
            > Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
            > 1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
            > Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
            > 970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
            > nagraph@frontie
          • Fritz Klinke
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2001
              Harry--The minimum order is $10.00, so no problem here. We have other oil
              inks, which are all letterpress based formulas, it's just that the
              Hostmann-Steinberg is by comparison a superior ink. Our regular job black
              works fine for most ordinary work, and once in a while, a gloss black is
              desirable, which the H-S ink is not.

              Our latest catalog is dated 1999, and prices have been changed mostly. We
              have added the Bunting magnetic bases for photopolymer, at good prices, and
              have been recasting ATF type--Garamond, Bulmer, Goudy Oldstyle, Engravers
              Roman. The Vandercook list in the catalog is just the surface of what we
              have, and since we have the Vandercook blueprint file, we furnish parts all
              the time made to special order. And we can find almost everything else.

              I'll just go ahead and process this order and pay from the invoice which
              will be included with the package, usually in the plastic envelope that has
              the UPS shipping label. My business partner went to UCSB, (and graduated
              from UC Davis) so he'll be happy to hear his old school is buying something.

              Thanks,