Re: [PPLetterpress] Nuarc vacuum frame

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2004
      Hi Michael,
      I use a Nuarc vacuum frame that sounds like the one you describe. I put a box
      with four flourescent UV bulbs on top of the glass for exposure.

      I considered replacing the glass with Kreene because I was getting irregular
      exposure due to poor contact under the glass, despite good vacuum pressure.
      Then I realized that the problem was that the vacuum actually was bending the
      glass down slightly, allowing irregular contact between the neg and the plate.
      The simple solution was to add pieces of matboard around the plate material to
      support the glass further out. That solved the problem for me and now I get
      fine contact and exposure. The glass itself doesn't seem to me a problem for UV
      exposure.

      I use the steel backed MS152 Miraclon plates from Gene Becker, and do washout
      by hand. Happy to say more if it might help.
      Best wishes, Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209