Re: [PPLetterpress] Here Here to inks!

  • thronobulx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
      I too have bought out some shops and inherited many cans of ink. Funny how
      cans of ink often outlive their owners....

      Here's my two cents: I have used all kinds of inks that were initially
      designed for offset or other methods of printing and they work just fine. As
      always, one is better off running a test on an unknown ink/paper combination.
      At worst, its just an extra washup.

      If the ink is hard and doesn't want to spread easily (this is especially true
      of old rubber based ink) dispose of it. Ancient oil ink will usually be hard
      right to the bottom of the can. Old metallic ink will often not print true to
      color. I've been told this has something to do with the metal flake used
      tarnishing over time.

      I've used some soy inks and they have been fine on uncoated stock. I can't
      say what they would be like for halftones or on uncoated stock.

      I would not recommend mixing inks from different brands, etc. Ink is cheap
      enough in the grand scheme of things.

      Hope this is of value.

      James
      B Designs
    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
        Hi Brian,
        I agree with Harold. He beat me in responding. I was about to write to
        suggest you use a type-high gauge to check the height of the polymer and
        backing together. Sounds to me like the inking rollers are hitting the
        surface too hard -- leaves a halo effect, weak inking in the middle of an
        image with extra ink around the edges. I have had no problem with Van Son
        inks on polymers except this exact halo when don't adjust for one irregular
        backing I have. Best regards, Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
          Dear David

          On the cylinder flatbed I use 36 point rule as roller supports running the
          length of the press bed for both metal and photopolymer. These run fairly
          close to the rails to prevent ink stray (on the printed paper).

          Like your idea. Probably more practical with the hand press? You could also
          have sets of these made, at various heights of plate thickness, to test how
          each might work with your particular inking practices, and with different
          kinds of forms, type, solids, etc.

          Let us know how it works out.

          Gerald

          David Goodrich wrote:

          > Harold's comments on roller pressure are striking a raw nerve. I print on
          > an iron hand press and have been planning to print some polymer plates using
          > a magnetic backing. Has anyone had any experience in using roller bearers
          > with polymer plates? I have been considering getting some long polymer
          > strips made up about 1/4 inch wide which would be the equivalent to 18 point
          > rules. These could be positioned on the magnetic backing to serve as roller
          > bearers. Has anyone else tried this?
          >
          > David Goodrich

        • David Goodrich

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 8, 2001
              Dear Fritz,
              I would like to buy (at least) three of these one pound cans of
              Hostmann-Steinberg dense matte black inks. Do you have a minimum order?

              I have purchased from your company as both an individual (Turkey Press) and from
              my institution (Department of Art Studio, University of California, Santa
              Barbara) but it may be best if I just sent a check in advance or gave you a
              credit card number. I'll follow whatever payment method you recommend.

              Do you carry any other inks?

              We have a few hand-outs from NA Graphics, but not much appears to be up-to-date.
              Since we have Vandercooks at home and at the UCSB campus, I'd like to know as
              much as I can about what you have around or in stock.

              Many thanks.

              Harry Reese

              Quoting Fritz Klinke <nagraph@...>:

              > We stock the Hostmann-Steinberg dense matte black. We were alerted to the
              > ink by Steve Heaver, and work with HS to provide the ink in one pound cans
              > at $17.75 a can. HS is not at all keen on doing special runs of ink in one
              > and two pound lots, so we typically order large quantities so that they
              > will
              > produce it for us. They have told me that 5 lbs is the smallest they will
              > manufacture and their price at that level is like $35 a pound. It has been
              > our largest seller, and is not even listed yet in our catalog.
              > Hostmann-Steinberg is a German company, but has several ink plants in the
              > US.
              >
              > I have used the ink on our SP-15, C&P, and Miehle Vertical. I have yet to
              > try it on our Windmill. It does make for nice dense blacks, just as the
              > name
              > implies. I find it to be a bit slow in drying, so would allow sufficient
              > drying time if a piece needs backing up. A drop of cobalt drier could be
              > added if drying time is a problem. People tend to reorder this ink, so that
              > is my index of customer satisfaction.
              >
              > Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
              > 1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
              > Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
              > 970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
              > nagraph@frontie
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2001
                Harry--The minimum order is $10.00, so no problem here. We have other oil
                inks, which are all letterpress based formulas, it's just that the
                Hostmann-Steinberg is by comparison a superior ink. Our regular job black
                works fine for most ordinary work, and once in a while, a gloss black is
                desirable, which the H-S ink is not.

                Our latest catalog is dated 1999, and prices have been changed mostly. We
                have added the Bunting magnetic bases for photopolymer, at good prices, and
                have been recasting ATF type--Garamond, Bulmer, Goudy Oldstyle, Engravers
                Roman. The Vandercook list in the catalog is just the surface of what we
                have, and since we have the Vandercook blueprint file, we furnish parts all
                the time made to special order. And we can find almost everything else.

                I'll just go ahead and process this order and pay from the invoice which
                will be included with the package, usually in the plastic envelope that has
                the UPS shipping label. My business partner went to UCSB, (and graduated
                from UC Davis) so he'll be happy to hear his old school is buying something.

                Thanks,