Metal Type ID

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2004
      David Diringer: The Alphabet: a key to the history of mankind. 2 vols.
      London & New York 1948 [1st], 1949 [2nd], and 1952 [3rd reprint]and
      also in Italian, Florence [1937]

      I believe there was also a one volume version and more than one
      edition of the first. It sells for about 250.00 if you can find one
      in good condition with dj. I don't have one to look at, but looking
      through the many alphabets shown in my Fry's Pantographia (1799) there
      are several which have writing characteristics in which such a char-
      acter would seem at home, but I don't find it there. The closest I
      came to finding one was Tartaric #5 and #7 which was used by the
      Manchou Tartars. op. cit. p. 290. Sorry I don't have a scanner, but
      this is likely to remain a mystery. In looking for an exact match to
      the characters we forget what is obvious in the variants shown in
      some of the polyglot tomes such as the one mentioned above, that
      there are variants of the same letter which don't exactly match each
      other; thus I may be looking at it without realizing it. It is, as
      they say, now out of your hands anyway. Your calligrapher friend will
      likely take up the challenge.

      Norman L. McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley