Re: [PPLetterpress] Here Here to inks!

  • thronobulx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
      I too have bought out some shops and inherited many cans of ink. Funny how
      cans of ink often outlive their owners....

      Here's my two cents: I have used all kinds of inks that were initially
      designed for offset or other methods of printing and they work just fine. As
      always, one is better off running a test on an unknown ink/paper combination.
      At worst, its just an extra washup.

      If the ink is hard and doesn't want to spread easily (this is especially true
      of old rubber based ink) dispose of it. Ancient oil ink will usually be hard
      right to the bottom of the can. Old metallic ink will often not print true to
      color. I've been told this has something to do with the metal flake used
      tarnishing over time.

      I've used some soy inks and they have been fine on uncoated stock. I can't
      say what they would be like for halftones or on uncoated stock.

      I would not recommend mixing inks from different brands, etc. Ink is cheap
      enough in the grand scheme of things.

      Hope this is of value.

      James
      B Designs
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
        I use Dan Smith inks on polymer plates without a problem. Highly
        recommended, in fact.

        It sounds to me like you have your inking rollers set too low. Any
        extra pressure they exert on the face of the type will squish the ink
        out to the edges, resulting in hollow, bloated type.

        Because plastic does not wear at the edges like lead type, the face
        of a polymer plate is more unforgiving to low rollers: the
        rounded-ness of a worn lead letter will disguise the squeezing effect
        of the roller. In fact, you need to drop the rollers to ink all the
        worn parts of the face. On polymer any variation in roller height
        sticks out because of its extremely flat face.

        Or, equally likely, you have mounted a polymer plate on a base that
        lifts the face of the type above type-high. When the base was
        machined, poor tolerances of thickness or flatness could now cause
        parts or all of the plate to raise above type high. Check with a
        micrometer or type-high gauge to see if this might be the case. You
        need to make sure that you are mounting your plates on a surface that
        is as flat and even as your rollers and cylinder/platen. Maybe you
        could share what type of base and plates you are you using.

        If you find variation on your printing surface due to a poorly
        machined base, you might consider purchasing a Boxcar Base, whose
        thickness, flatness, and parallelism are all guaranteed within
        0.001", and will never raise a plate above type-high. You can find
        out more in Boxcar Press's catalog at www.boxcarpress.com.

        Is this helpful?

        Harold
        --
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
        Boxcar Press
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
          Hi Brian,
          I agree with Harold. He beat me in responding. I was about to write to
          suggest you use a type-high gauge to check the height of the polymer and
          backing together. Sounds to me like the inking rollers are hitting the
          surface too hard -- leaves a halo effect, weak inking in the middle of an
          image with extra ink around the edges. I have had no problem with Van Son
          inks on polymers except this exact halo when don't adjust for one irregular
          backing I have. Best regards, Tom

          Tom Parson
          Now It's Up To You Publications
          157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          (303) 777-8951
          http://members.aol.com/typetom
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2001
            Dear David

            On the cylinder flatbed I use 36 point rule as roller supports running the
            length of the press bed for both metal and photopolymer. These run fairly
            close to the rails to prevent ink stray (on the printed paper).

            Like your idea. Probably more practical with the hand press? You could also
            have sets of these made, at various heights of plate thickness, to test how
            each might work with your particular inking practices, and with different
            kinds of forms, type, solids, etc.

            Let us know how it works out.

            Gerald

            David Goodrich wrote:

            > Harold's comments on roller pressure are striking a raw nerve. I print on
            > an iron hand press and have been planning to print some polymer plates using
            > a magnetic backing. Has anyone had any experience in using roller bearers
            > with polymer plates? I have been considering getting some long polymer
            > strips made up about 1/4 inch wide which would be the equivalent to 18 point
            > rules. These could be positioned on the magnetic backing to serve as roller
            > bearers. Has anyone else tried this?
            >
            > David Goodrich

          • David Goodrich

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 8, 2001
                Dear Fritz,
                I would like to buy (at least) three of these one pound cans of
                Hostmann-Steinberg dense matte black inks. Do you have a minimum order?

                I have purchased from your company as both an individual (Turkey Press) and from
                my institution (Department of Art Studio, University of California, Santa
                Barbara) but it may be best if I just sent a check in advance or gave you a
                credit card number. I'll follow whatever payment method you recommend.

                Do you carry any other inks?

                We have a few hand-outs from NA Graphics, but not much appears to be up-to-date.
                Since we have Vandercooks at home and at the UCSB campus, I'd like to know as
                much as I can about what you have around or in stock.

                Many thanks.

                Harry Reese

                Quoting Fritz Klinke <nagraph@...>:

                > We stock the Hostmann-Steinberg dense matte black. We were alerted to the
                > ink by Steve Heaver, and work with HS to provide the ink in one pound cans
                > at $17.75 a can. HS is not at all keen on doing special runs of ink in one
                > and two pound lots, so we typically order large quantities so that they
                > will
                > produce it for us. They have told me that 5 lbs is the smallest they will
                > manufacture and their price at that level is like $35 a pound. It has been
                > our largest seller, and is not even listed yet in our catalog.
                > Hostmann-Steinberg is a German company, but has several ink plants in the
                > US.
                >
                > I have used the ink on our SP-15, C&P, and Miehle Vertical. I have yet to
                > try it on our Windmill. It does make for nice dense blacks, just as the
                > name
                > implies. I find it to be a bit slow in drying, so would allow sufficient
                > drying time if a piece needs backing up. A drop of cobalt drier could be
                > added if drying time is a problem. People tend to reorder this ink, so that
                > is my index of customer satisfaction.
                >
                > Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                > 1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                > Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                > 970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                > nagraph@frontie
              • Fritz Klinke
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 8, 2001
                  Harry--The minimum order is $10.00, so no problem here. We have other oil
                  inks, which are all letterpress based formulas, it's just that the
                  Hostmann-Steinberg is by comparison a superior ink. Our regular job black
                  works fine for most ordinary work, and once in a while, a gloss black is
                  desirable, which the H-S ink is not.

                  Our latest catalog is dated 1999, and prices have been changed mostly. We
                  have added the Bunting magnetic bases for photopolymer, at good prices, and
                  have been recasting ATF type--Garamond, Bulmer, Goudy Oldstyle, Engravers
                  Roman. The Vandercook list in the catalog is just the surface of what we
                  have, and since we have the Vandercook blueprint file, we furnish parts all
                  the time made to special order. And we can find almost everything else.

                  I'll just go ahead and process this order and pay from the invoice which
                  will be included with the package, usually in the plastic envelope that has
                  the UPS shipping label. My business partner went to UCSB, (and graduated
                  from UC Davis) so he'll be happy to hear his old school is buying something.

                  Thanks,