Re: film output costs

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
      Ray

      I use
      http://www.EDIworks.com
      for film negatives. They are in Glendale (Los Angeles).

      I think I pay $16 or $18. Advantage for my clients is that EDI takes
      the files via email, accepts credit card payments, and delivers free
      to me. Usually the owners drive over and deliver them. They are a bit
      intrigued by (and respectful of) letterpress activities.

      Gerald

    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
        In a message dated 1/10/2004 rayking@... writes:
        << For an 8.5 x 11 size negative what would the customary price be
        approximately?

        An 8 x 10 neg in Denver is available for $12.75, at Unique Litho. I didn't do
        comparative pricing elsewhere here as this seemed reasonable and close to my
        shop. I can send files by email or on their website.
        www.uniquelitho.com.

        Some issues regarding ganging files if the imagesetter doesn't read all the
        intended formatting -- occasionally an image or a text box flows to a second
        page so it becomes two negs not one. I've had to learn to talk to the various
        software and people involved!

        I've also had problems with certain postscript fonts that don't get embedded
        with the file like True Type, and so depend on the imagesetter having the font.

        Now I also make negs at home on a laser printer. Not opaque enough really,
        but with much less exposure time and shorter washout (and some careful and
        intensive work with an opaque pen) I am getting results that equal plates made from
        imagesetter negs. Some limitations and trade-offs, with considerably more
        hand-work, but my cost for these negs is now about 7 cents per 8.5 x 11 laser
        transparency sheet.

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom
      • Silver MayKitten
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
          You need to preflight a job before sending it to the service
          bureau for output. Matxware makes the best. BY preflighting
          you can make sure that the job submitted has all the necessary
          files and then you can zip it for transmission by ftp. For the
          best results creaste the job as a single directory with all the
          fonts and graphics and other job files inside with the
          directory name the same as the project number, like:
          PN04-00108.

          MayKitten
          --- typetom@... wrote:
          > In a message dated 1/10/2004 rayking@... writes:
          > << For an 8.5 x 11 size negative what would the customary
          > price be
          > approximately?
          >
          > An 8 x 10 neg in Denver is available for $12.75, at Unique
          > Litho. I didn't do
          > comparative pricing elsewhere here as this seemed reasonable
          > and close to my
          > shop. I can send files by email or on their website.
          > www.uniquelitho.com.
          >
          > Some issues regarding ganging files if the imagesetter
          > doesn't read all the
          > intended formatting -- occasionally an image or a text box
          > flows to a second
          > page so it becomes two negs not one. I've had to learn to
          > talk to the various
          > software and people involved!
          >
          > I've also had problems with certain postscript fonts that
          > don't get embedded
          > with the file like True Type, and so depend on the
          > imagesetter having the font.
          >
          > Now I also make negs at home on a laser printer. Not opaque
          > enough really,
          > but with much less exposure time and shorter washout (and
          > some careful and
          > intensive work with an opaque pen) I am getting results that
          > equal plates made from
          > imagesetter negs. Some limitations and trade-offs, with
          > considerably more
          > hand-work, but my cost for these negs is now about 7 cents
          > per 8.5 x 11 laser
          > transparency sheet.
          >

          > Tom Parson
          > Now It's Up To You Publications
          > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          > (303) 777-8951
          > http://members.aol.com/typetom

          =====
          Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

          From the book, Charge of the Goddess
          BY: Doreen Valiente

        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
            Our charge for a letter size (8x10) negative is $12. Additional is delivery,
            FedEx, etc. The cost for several pieces goes down when considering delivery
            charges. Multiple images can be put on one negative, and unless needed for some
            reason, skip crop marks if they indicate the paper size as that's not the way we
            typically locate an image in letterpress anyway--a lot of people being trained
            today for offset don't quite get that concept. Multiple images need an allowance
            for cutting area, and for steel backed plates, cuts have to be straight line and
            all the way across the plate for each cut. We get overnight service on
            negatives, and we normally make plates on an overnight basis and include a
            printed proof of the plate, not a printout of the file, as part of the service.
            Anything more than this and you need to find a new source of negatives and/or
            plates.

            Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
            1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
            Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
            970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
            nagraph@...

            for film negatives. They are in Glendale (Los Angeles).

            I think I pay $16 or $18. Advantage for my clients is that EDI takes
            the files via email, accepts credit card payments, and delivers free
            to me. Usually the owners drive over and deliver them. They are a bit
            intrigued by (and respectful of) letterpress activities.

            Gerald

            > Greeting Polymer Plate People,
            >
            > I have been starting to experiment with making my own plates. Recently
            > I had a negative made and the price seems out of whack. For an 8.5 x
            > 11 size negative what would the customary price be approximately? When
            > I have had plates processed by Boxcar the charge for the negatives were
            > in 10-20 dollar range. I am embarrassed to say what I just payed.
            >
            > I live in the Bay Area and everything is more expensive here it seems.
            > Any suggestions on where to output my files?
            >
            > Ah the weird and wonderful world of letterpress...
            >
            > Ray King

            PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            . Encountering problems? contact:
            PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            . To unsubscribe:

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
              Ray-

              When I was in SF I used Octagon as well. They are at the bottom of
              Portrero Hill on Missouri, conveniently close to the center for the
              book.
              It runs about 19 bucks for 8.5x11, but I waited until I could get
              enough jobs for a 16x20, which was about 32. It may be a little
              pricier than some but you can't beat the service and the friendly staff
              and the turnaround is 24 hrs.

              Good Luck!
              Brandon Mise
              Blue Barnhouse

              > Greeting Polymer Plate People,
              >
              > I have been starting to experiment with making my own plates. Recently
              > I had a negative made and the price seems out of whack.� For an 8.5 x
              > 11 size negative what would the customary price be approximately?� When
              > I have had plates processed by Boxcar the charge for the negatives were
              > in 10-20 dollar range.� I am embarrassed to say what I just payed.
              >
              > I live in the Bay Area and everything is more expensive here it seems.
              > Any suggestions on where to output my files?
              >
              > Ah the weird and wonderful world of letterpress...
              >
              > Ray King
              >

              > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > � Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > � To unsubscribe:

              <image.tiff>

              > �
              > �

            • Printer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
                Octagon does give very good service, and they are used to dealing with
                us letterpress people, which counts for a lot.

                Another place in SF that will do film is Dolphin Graphics. They charged
                $25 for an 11 x 17" piece of film, for a job I just did. Cheaper than
                Octagon, for those looking only at the bottom line. They're on Columbia
                Square, off Folsom, near 7th St. 415-255-8799

                Joel
                Dependable Letterpress
                San Francisco