film output costs

  • ray king
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
      Greeting Polymer Plate People,

      I have been starting to experiment with making my own plates. Recently
      I had a negative made and the price seems out of whack. For an 8.5 x
      11 size negative what would the customary price be approximately? When
      I have had plates processed by Boxcar the charge for the negatives were
      in 10-20 dollar range. I am embarrassed to say what I just payed.

      I live in the Bay Area and everything is more expensive here it seems.
      Any suggestions on where to output my files?

      Ah the weird and wonderful world of letterpress...

      Ray King
    • chuck sumner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
        Here's Octagons prices. They are right in SF
        http://www.octagondigital.com/services/prepress/image_set/index.html
        The more you can gang together, the better

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
          Ray

          I use
          http://www.EDIworks.com
          for film negatives. They are in Glendale (Los Angeles).

          I think I pay $16 or $18. Advantage for my clients is that EDI takes
          the files via email, accepts credit card payments, and delivers free
          to me. Usually the owners drive over and deliver them. They are a bit
          intrigued by (and respectful of) letterpress activities.

          Gerald

        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
            In a message dated 1/10/2004 rayking@... writes:
            << For an 8.5 x 11 size negative what would the customary price be
            approximately?

            An 8 x 10 neg in Denver is available for $12.75, at Unique Litho. I didn't do
            comparative pricing elsewhere here as this seemed reasonable and close to my
            shop. I can send files by email or on their website.
            www.uniquelitho.com.

            Some issues regarding ganging files if the imagesetter doesn't read all the
            intended formatting -- occasionally an image or a text box flows to a second
            page so it becomes two negs not one. I've had to learn to talk to the various
            software and people involved!

            I've also had problems with certain postscript fonts that don't get embedded
            with the file like True Type, and so depend on the imagesetter having the font.

            Now I also make negs at home on a laser printer. Not opaque enough really,
            but with much less exposure time and shorter washout (and some careful and
            intensive work with an opaque pen) I am getting results that equal plates made from
            imagesetter negs. Some limitations and trade-offs, with considerably more
            hand-work, but my cost for these negs is now about 7 cents per 8.5 x 11 laser
            transparency sheet.

            Tom Parson
            Now It's Up To You Publications
            157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
            (303) 777-8951
            http://members.aol.com/typetom
          • Silver MayKitten
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
              You need to preflight a job before sending it to the service
              bureau for output. Matxware makes the best. BY preflighting
              you can make sure that the job submitted has all the necessary
              files and then you can zip it for transmission by ftp. For the
              best results creaste the job as a single directory with all the
              fonts and graphics and other job files inside with the
              directory name the same as the project number, like:
              PN04-00108.

              MayKitten
              --- typetom@... wrote:
              > In a message dated 1/10/2004 rayking@... writes:
              > << For an 8.5 x 11 size negative what would the customary
              > price be
              > approximately?
              >
              > An 8 x 10 neg in Denver is available for $12.75, at Unique
              > Litho. I didn't do
              > comparative pricing elsewhere here as this seemed reasonable
              > and close to my
              > shop. I can send files by email or on their website.
              > www.uniquelitho.com.
              >
              > Some issues regarding ganging files if the imagesetter
              > doesn't read all the
              > intended formatting -- occasionally an image or a text box
              > flows to a second
              > page so it becomes two negs not one. I've had to learn to
              > talk to the various
              > software and people involved!
              >
              > I've also had problems with certain postscript fonts that
              > don't get embedded
              > with the file like True Type, and so depend on the
              > imagesetter having the font.
              >
              > Now I also make negs at home on a laser printer. Not opaque
              > enough really,
              > but with much less exposure time and shorter washout (and
              > some careful and
              > intensive work with an opaque pen) I am getting results that
              > equal plates made from
              > imagesetter negs. Some limitations and trade-offs, with
              > considerably more
              > hand-work, but my cost for these negs is now about 7 cents
              > per 8.5 x 11 laser
              > transparency sheet.
              >

              > Tom Parson
              > Now It's Up To You Publications
              > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
              > (303) 777-8951
              > http://members.aol.com/typetom

              =====
              Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

              From the book, Charge of the Goddess
              BY: Doreen Valiente

            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
                Our charge for a letter size (8x10) negative is $12. Additional is delivery,
                FedEx, etc. The cost for several pieces goes down when considering delivery
                charges. Multiple images can be put on one negative, and unless needed for some
                reason, skip crop marks if they indicate the paper size as that's not the way we
                typically locate an image in letterpress anyway--a lot of people being trained
                today for offset don't quite get that concept. Multiple images need an allowance
                for cutting area, and for steel backed plates, cuts have to be straight line and
                all the way across the plate for each cut. We get overnight service on
                negatives, and we normally make plates on an overnight basis and include a
                printed proof of the plate, not a printout of the file, as part of the service.
                Anything more than this and you need to find a new source of negatives and/or
                plates.

                Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                nagraph@...

                for film negatives. They are in Glendale (Los Angeles).

                I think I pay $16 or $18. Advantage for my clients is that EDI takes
                the files via email, accepts credit card payments, and delivers free
                to me. Usually the owners drive over and deliver them. They are a bit
                intrigued by (and respectful of) letterpress activities.

                Gerald

                > Greeting Polymer Plate People,
                >
                > I have been starting to experiment with making my own plates. Recently
                > I had a negative made and the price seems out of whack. For an 8.5 x
                > 11 size negative what would the customary price be approximately? When
                > I have had plates processed by Boxcar the charge for the negatives were
                > in 10-20 dollar range. I am embarrassed to say what I just payed.
                >
                > I live in the Bay Area and everything is more expensive here it seems.
                > Any suggestions on where to output my files?
                >
                > Ah the weird and wonderful world of letterpress...
                >
                > Ray King

                PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                . Encountering problems? contact:
                PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                . To unsubscribe:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • letpresslist@bluebarnhouse.org
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
                  Ray-

                  When I was in SF I used Octagon as well. They are at the bottom of
                  Portrero Hill on Missouri, conveniently close to the center for the
                  book.
                  It runs about 19 bucks for 8.5x11, but I waited until I could get
                  enough jobs for a 16x20, which was about 32. It may be a little
                  pricier than some but you can't beat the service and the friendly staff
                  and the turnaround is 24 hrs.

                  Good Luck!
                  Brandon Mise
                  Blue Barnhouse

                  > Greeting Polymer Plate People,
                  >
                  > I have been starting to experiment with making my own plates. Recently
                  > I had a negative made and the price seems out of whack.� For an 8.5 x
                  > 11 size negative what would the customary price be approximately?� When
                  > I have had plates processed by Boxcar the charge for the negatives were
                  > in 10-20 dollar range.� I am embarrassed to say what I just payed.
                  >
                  > I live in the Bay Area and everything is more expensive here it seems.
                  > Any suggestions on where to output my files?
                  >
                  > Ah the weird and wonderful world of letterpress...
                  >
                  > Ray King
                  >

                  > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
                  > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  > � Encountering problems? contact:
                  > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  > � To unsubscribe:

                  <image.tiff>

                  > �
                  > �

                • Printer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 10, 2004
                    Octagon does give very good service, and they are used to dealing with
                    us letterpress people, which counts for a lot.

                    Another place in SF that will do film is Dolphin Graphics. They charged
                    $25 for an 11 x 17" piece of film, for a job I just did. Cheaper than
                    Octagon, for those looking only at the bottom line. They're on Columbia
                    Square, off Folsom, near 7th St. 415-255-8799

                    Joel
                    Dependable Letterpress
                    San Francisco