Digital Nyloprint: A word of caution

  • Mats Broberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2004
      Dear listmembers,

      Some time ago a posted several enthusiastic messages about BASF:s new
      digital Nyloprint photopolymer plates.

      Since then my enthusiasm has cooled down a bit. The platemakers I used
      seemed to have problem delivering plates with predictable quality, which
      was contrary to what I thought when switching from analog plates to
      digital plates. Problems like non-uniform thickness of letters and lines
      from plate to plate were common, as was sudden & a tad unexpected fees
      called "digital process engraving fees".

      All in all, the price per square inch of plate did not drop at all,
      since these fees usually amounted to the former cost of outputting film!
      Admittedly, the problem with non-uniform thickness of letters and lines
      may have been due to startup problems (my platemakers work most with
      flexo) - but then again, such plates should not have been delivered to
      end-customers anyway.

      At this time I have switched back to analog plates. Other people on the
      list may have other and more positive experiences, but I thought it was
      worth posting anyway. There's no need for someone else to make the same
      mistake again.

      Therefore, check plates very carefully - and check those invoices very
      carefully too!

      All the best,
      Mats Broberg
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Ars Imprimis Press
      Hauptvägen 102
      SE-123 58 Farsta — Sweden
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Telephone: +46 8 604 59 81
      www.arsimprimispress.com
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2004
        Mats

        Sounds to me like you just got involved with the wrong processor.
        Especially one who was used to doing flexographic work. There are
        significant differences between plate processing for flexography and
        letterpress. My experience with Nyloprint plates has been pretty good.
        I usually use them for halftone work when I need to capture very fine
        detail.

        Only thing wrong with them is their weird color combination (they look
        cheap - but they aren't!!!), they smell really bad during processing,
        and they crud up the bath.

        You might want to check out another plate processor, rather than give
        it up because of a bad experience with one. Probably better off with a
        processor who is more involved with the book arts than those that
        cator more to the printing industry. You get a bit more care and concern.

        All best

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Mats Broberg"
        <mats.broberg@a...> wrote:
        > Dear listmembers,
        >
        > Some time ago a posted several enthusiastic messages about BASF:s new
        > digital Nyloprint photopolymer plates.
        >
        > Since then my enthusiasm has cooled down a bit. The platemakers I used
        > seemed to have problem delivering plates with predictable quality, which
        > was contrary to what I thought when switching from analog plates to
        > digital plates. Problems like non-uniform thickness of letters and lines
        > from plate to plate were common, as was sudden & a tad unexpected fees
        > called "digital process engraving fees".
        >
        > All in all, the price per square inch of plate did not drop at all,
        > since these fees usually amounted to the former cost of outputting film!
        > Admittedly, the problem with non-uniform thickness of letters and lines
        > may have been due to startup problems (my platemakers work most with
        > flexo) - but then again, such plates should not have been delivered to
        > end-customers anyway.
        >
        > At this time I have switched back to analog plates. Other people on the
        > list may have other and more positive experiences, but I thought it was
        > worth posting anyway. There's no need for someone else to make the same
        > mistake again.
        >
        > Therefore, check plates very carefully - and check those invoices very
        > carefully too!
        >
        > All the best,
        > Mats Broberg
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Ars Imprimis Press
        > Hauptvägen 102
        > SE-123 58 Farsta — Sweden
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > Telephone: +46 8 604 59 81
        > www.arsimprimispress.com
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • arsimprimis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2004
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange" <bieler@w...>
          wrote:
          > Mats
          >
          > Sounds to me like you just got involved with the wrong processor.
          > Especially one who was used to doing flexographic work. There are
          > significant differences between plate processing for flexography
          > and letterpress. My experience with Nyloprint plates has been
          > pretty good.

          Gerald,

          Thanks for your mail.

          Well, the thing is these platemakers' analog Nyloprint photopolymer
          plates are top-notch. I have used them for several years and have
          been quite happy with the quality.

          I used to work at someone else's printing office a decade ago or so,
          and we made all (analog) photopolymer plates in-house. It does have a
          number of advantages, and I think that is the way to go - in due time.

          BTW, can you check my subscription? I'm posting this using the web
          interface - not getting any mails, despite the fact that Yahoo
          displays the correct settings.

          All the best,
          Mats Broberg