Re: [PPLetterpress] Moving Vandercook

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      This particular press was owned by International Paper Co., and was the main
      test press in one of their paper mills. Their sales are in the billions, so
      insurance was not a factor, and neither was cost. This press had been configured
      for use in a computer driven testing system that tested paper as it was coming
      off the machines, and simulated web offset. It is a system most of the paper
      mills use in one form or another. I currently have a Univ I in the shop that is
      owned by International Paper Co. I think we will be acquiring it, but it's a far
      ways from being letterpress friendly.

      I have sold a Univ I manual press for $3500 (to the Bank of France) just last
      year. I have heard of some higher prices in the $5000 to $6000 range (SOS
      Linotype has sold several in this price range to a printer in New York). So, any
      Univ I in good mechanical condition is worth some money. Other than that, it's
      what people are willing to pay.

      Fritz

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
        Good Afternoon:
        My profound thanks to all who responded to my plea for advice on moving a
        Vandercook proof press. I feel a
        lot more confident that I can accomplish this move safely. Safely for myself
        , safely for any helpers whom I will certainly have at my side, and safely
        for the press. Thank you again!
        Best wishes,
        David Gettinby