Re: [PPLetterpress] Moving Vandercook

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
      >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
      >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

      Fritz

      I hope that was covered by insurance!
      How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

      best
      Peter

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
        This particular press was owned by International Paper Co., and was the main
        test press in one of their paper mills. Their sales are in the billions, so
        insurance was not a factor, and neither was cost. This press had been configured
        for use in a computer driven testing system that tested paper as it was coming
        off the machines, and simulated web offset. It is a system most of the paper
        mills use in one form or another. I currently have a Univ I in the shop that is
        owned by International Paper Co. I think we will be acquiring it, but it's a far
        ways from being letterpress friendly.

        I have sold a Univ I manual press for $3500 (to the Bank of France) just last
        year. I have heard of some higher prices in the $5000 to $6000 range (SOS
        Linotype has sold several in this price range to a printer in New York). So, any
        Univ I in good mechanical condition is worth some money. Other than that, it's
        what people are willing to pay.

        Fritz

        At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
        >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
        >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

        Fritz

        I hope that was covered by insurance!
        How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

        best
        Peter

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Nancy and or David
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
          Good Afternoon:
          My profound thanks to all who responded to my plea for advice on moving a
          Vandercook proof press. I feel a
          lot more confident that I can accomplish this move safely. Safely for myself
          , safely for any helpers whom I will certainly have at my side, and safely
          for the press. Thank you again!
          Best wishes,
          David Gettinby