Re: [PPLetterpress] Moving Vandercook

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
      >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
      >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

      Fritz

      I hope that was covered by insurance!
      How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

      best
      Peter

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
        All the suggestions so far are good, but I advise extreme caution with a pallet
        jack. We don't know if this Univ I has an adjustable bed (add 600#) or is
        automatic, or manual. But whatever, these are narrow presses and are very top
        heavy. We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
        jack and the repair bill was over $5000. If a pallet jack is used in the middle
        of the press lifting on the cabinet work, the sheet metal back panel will likely
        buckle, dumping the press. Just the back panel is about $450 to replace. We use
        a sheet of plywood cut to just oversize to fit under the bottom of the cabinet
        between the two legs and that spreads the weight, but this is still a 2 or 3
        person move.

        The original idea of using pipes and lengthwise runners made of substantial (4x4
        or 4x6) timbers should be the best bet, especially since there must be a doorway
        to negotiate. If the press is a manual one, take off the handle and
        feedboard--note that the handle has a taper pin plus a set screw, and thus taper
        pins come out only in one direction. Don't use the cabinet work with a prybar,
        unless you like the sight of dented metal. The four corners are the strongest
        part of that assembly. Go slow and a second person helping is highly advised.

        Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
        1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
        Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
        970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
        nagraph@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
          This particular press was owned by International Paper Co., and was the main
          test press in one of their paper mills. Their sales are in the billions, so
          insurance was not a factor, and neither was cost. This press had been configured
          for use in a computer driven testing system that tested paper as it was coming
          off the machines, and simulated web offset. It is a system most of the paper
          mills use in one form or another. I currently have a Univ I in the shop that is
          owned by International Paper Co. I think we will be acquiring it, but it's a far
          ways from being letterpress friendly.

          I have sold a Univ I manual press for $3500 (to the Bank of France) just last
          year. I have heard of some higher prices in the $5000 to $6000 range (SOS
          Linotype has sold several in this price range to a printer in New York). So, any
          Univ I in good mechanical condition is worth some money. Other than that, it's
          what people are willing to pay.

          Fritz

          At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
          >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
          >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

          Fritz

          I hope that was covered by insurance!
          How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

          best
          Peter

          Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

          http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting

          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          . Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          . To unsubscribe:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Nancy and or David
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
            Good Afternoon:
            My profound thanks to all who responded to my plea for advice on moving a
            Vandercook proof press. I feel a
            lot more confident that I can accomplish this move safely. Safely for myself
            , safely for any helpers whom I will certainly have at my side, and safely
            for the press. Thank you again!
            Best wishes,
            David Gettinby