Re: [PPLetterpress] Moving Vandercook

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      David

      >Soon I will be attempting to move a Vandercook Universal 1 proof press. It will not be far; one room to another, (garage to basement), all on one level on a concrete floor

      Sounds like you've chosen the best possible world to move a press in ;-)

      I'd prefer a 4x6 to a 2x6. I can't remember if the Uni I has 'feet' and therefore would leave you with space between the skid and the middle of the bed, but if so, a 2x6 will be problematic without additional bracing. Look for 4x6s from shipping palettes.

      If there are thresholds between the rooms, I recommend a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood as a ramp. For moving onto uneven surfaces (my last move was into a cellar with limestone paving!) use the plywood the whole way!
      If not, your biggest hassle may be getting the press off the ground enough to get the skid under it.

      I usually start with smaller pieces under one corner and work my way up. A good johnny-bar, or at least a long heavy crow bar are essential. A handful of wooden shingles make excellent buffers so your bar doesn't crumble the concrete as you push on it.

      Have a few blocks of wood of smaller dimension (chunks of 2x4) to use for staging as you get the corners up, and again, wedge the crow bar against another chunk to provide leverage to get the larger pieces under. I'm sure it will be apparent...

      The 1 inch steel is good. I've generally used three pipes, just a couple inches longer that the width of the bed. However, it's really good to have a couple of shorter pieces if you need to turn any sharp corners, inwhich case one short length under each side will allow you to pivot the thing like a lazy susan...

      Get one pipe under the front (or which ever end will move forward), and shove it as far back as possible (again, jacking the end of the skid with your crowbar on a wooden fulcrum). If it gets back nearly to the center of the bed, you'll be able to easily tilt the press forward onto a second pipe and move on out... When the first pipe rolls out the back end, the third one should be ready to slip under the front again, and so forth...

      I hope this helps ;-)

      Be careful!

      Peter
      At 1:37 PM -0500 2004-01-04, Nancy and or David wrote:
      >Soon I will be attempting to move a Vandercook Universal 1 proof press. It will not be far; one room to another, (garage to basement), all on one level on a concrete floor. I plan on placing two 2"x6"s under it, to serve as a skid, and try to move it on 1" iron pipes. It will not matter if I can only move it an inch at a time. I will be attempting this on my own.
      >I would appreciate any and all sound advise members would like to offer.
      >My brother tried to move a similar press a few years ago: with disastrous results. As a result of his experience I will be very cautious.
      >
      >Best wishes,
      >David Gettinby

      >ï To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >ï Encountering problems? contact:
      >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      >ï To unsubscribe:
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go to:

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
    • Timothy Trower
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
        Bolt the press to the 2x6s, and you should be fine. I would not move it entirely by myself, but always have someone on hand to help. To move it, it helps to have a long iron pry bar -- I have a tank track lever that I have used for years for such.

        Good luck.

        Tim
        Soon I will be attempting to move a Vandercook Universal 1 proof press. It will not be far; one room to another, (garage to basement), all on one level on a concrete floor. I plan on placing two 2"x6"s under it, to serve as a skid, and try to move it on 1" iron pipes. It will not matter if I can only move it an inch at a time. I will be attempting this on my own.
        I would appreciate any and all sound advise members would like to offer.
        My brother tried to move a similar press a few years ago: with disastrous results. As a result of his experience I will be very cautious.

        Best wishes,
        David Gettinby

        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        . Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        . To unsubscribe:

      • Bill Litfin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
          Not sure when you mean by one end...

          This is the type of jack I am talking about using:
          http://www.parsteel.com/Frames/F-Images/Yellow%20Jack%202-3.gif

          I slid the forks of the jack under the base of the press - parallel
          with the rollers and cylinder. It took a couple tries to find a good,
          stable center of gravity (which will be on the cylinder end).

          Once lifted, the press was surprisingly maneuverable on the jack.

          Tip: also have a two-wheeled hand truck handy... if there is a small
          lip that the press needs to roll over, the hand truck makes an
          excellent lever to pop the wheels over the lip of, say, a garage.

          --B

          On Jan 4, 2004, at 2:02 PM, Mark Wilden wrote:

          > From: "Bill Litfin" <bill.litfin@...>
          >
          >> You might try renting a pallet jack from a local tool rental place
          > (~$25 per day) and moving it that way. I moved my Vandercook 4 that way
          > very easily.
          >
          > My 317 is on wheels, so this is academic to me :) but ... with a pallet
          > jack, can't you only lift one end?

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > • Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > • To unsubscribe:

          > ---------------------~-->
          > Canada.
          > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/mFXtlB/TM

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Mark Wilden
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
            From: "Bill Litfin" <bill.litfin@...>

            >Not sure when you mean by one end...
            >This is the type of jack I am talking about using:
            http://www.parsteel.com/Frames/F-Images/Yellow%20Jack%202-3.gif

            >I slid the forks of the jack under the base of the press - parallel
            with the rollers and cylinder. It took a couple tries to find a good,
            stable center of gravity (which will be on the cylinder end).

            OK, I get it. I didn't know if there was enough support between the
            cast-iron legs of the press to support its weight. On mine, for example,
            there are only two one-inch rods connecting the legs at each end. Even with
            the central cabinet removed, I would be leery of putting a jack under them.
            And I've seen the result where someone tried to lift it from under the
            cabinets.

            >Tip: also have a two-wheeled hand truck handy... if there is a small
            lip that the press needs to roll over, the hand truck makes an
            excellent lever to pop the wheels over the lip of, say, a garage.

            Sounds good. Something like that I've used is a j-bar (?) It's like a hand
            truck, but designed just for leveraging.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
              At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
              >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
              >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

              Fritz

              I hope that was covered by insurance!
              How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

              best
              Peter

              Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

              http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                All the suggestions so far are good, but I advise extreme caution with a pallet
                jack. We don't know if this Univ I has an adjustable bed (add 600#) or is
                automatic, or manual. But whatever, these are narrow presses and are very top
                heavy. We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
                jack and the repair bill was over $5000. If a pallet jack is used in the middle
                of the press lifting on the cabinet work, the sheet metal back panel will likely
                buckle, dumping the press. Just the back panel is about $450 to replace. We use
                a sheet of plywood cut to just oversize to fit under the bottom of the cabinet
                between the two legs and that spreads the weight, but this is still a 2 or 3
                person move.

                The original idea of using pipes and lengthwise runners made of substantial (4x4
                or 4x6) timbers should be the best bet, especially since there must be a doorway
                to negotiate. If the press is a manual one, take off the handle and
                feedboard--note that the handle has a taper pin plus a set screw, and thus taper
                pins come out only in one direction. Don't use the cabinet work with a prybar,
                unless you like the sight of dented metal. The four corners are the strongest
                part of that assembly. Go slow and a second person helping is highly advised.

                Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                nagraph@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                  This particular press was owned by International Paper Co., and was the main
                  test press in one of their paper mills. Their sales are in the billions, so
                  insurance was not a factor, and neither was cost. This press had been configured
                  for use in a computer driven testing system that tested paper as it was coming
                  off the machines, and simulated web offset. It is a system most of the paper
                  mills use in one form or another. I currently have a Univ I in the shop that is
                  owned by International Paper Co. I think we will be acquiring it, but it's a far
                  ways from being letterpress friendly.

                  I have sold a Univ I manual press for $3500 (to the Bank of France) just last
                  year. I have heard of some higher prices in the $5000 to $6000 range (SOS
                  Linotype has sold several in this price range to a printer in New York). So, any
                  Univ I in good mechanical condition is worth some money. Other than that, it's
                  what people are willing to pay.

                  Fritz

                  At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
                  >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
                  >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

                  Fritz

                  I hope that was covered by insurance!
                  How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

                  best
                  Peter

                  Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

                  http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting

                  PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  . Encountering problems? contact:
                  PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  . To unsubscribe:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Nancy and or David
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Good Afternoon:
                    My profound thanks to all who responded to my plea for advice on moving a
                    Vandercook proof press. I feel a
                    lot more confident that I can accomplish this move safely. Safely for myself
                    , safely for any helpers whom I will certainly have at my side, and safely
                    for the press. Thank you again!
                    Best wishes,
                    David Gettinby