Re: [PPLetterpress] Moving Vandercook

  • Bill Litfin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      David-

      You might try renting a pallet jack from a local tool rental place
      (~$25 per day) and moving it that way. I moved my Vandercook 4 that way
      very easily.

      -Bill

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
        David

        >Soon I will be attempting to move a Vandercook Universal 1 proof press. It will not be far; one room to another, (garage to basement), all on one level on a concrete floor

        Sounds like you've chosen the best possible world to move a press in ;-)

        I'd prefer a 4x6 to a 2x6. I can't remember if the Uni I has 'feet' and therefore would leave you with space between the skid and the middle of the bed, but if so, a 2x6 will be problematic without additional bracing. Look for 4x6s from shipping palettes.

        If there are thresholds between the rooms, I recommend a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood as a ramp. For moving onto uneven surfaces (my last move was into a cellar with limestone paving!) use the plywood the whole way!
        If not, your biggest hassle may be getting the press off the ground enough to get the skid under it.

        I usually start with smaller pieces under one corner and work my way up. A good johnny-bar, or at least a long heavy crow bar are essential. A handful of wooden shingles make excellent buffers so your bar doesn't crumble the concrete as you push on it.

        Have a few blocks of wood of smaller dimension (chunks of 2x4) to use for staging as you get the corners up, and again, wedge the crow bar against another chunk to provide leverage to get the larger pieces under. I'm sure it will be apparent...

        The 1 inch steel is good. I've generally used three pipes, just a couple inches longer that the width of the bed. However, it's really good to have a couple of shorter pieces if you need to turn any sharp corners, inwhich case one short length under each side will allow you to pivot the thing like a lazy susan...

        Get one pipe under the front (or which ever end will move forward), and shove it as far back as possible (again, jacking the end of the skid with your crowbar on a wooden fulcrum). If it gets back nearly to the center of the bed, you'll be able to easily tilt the press forward onto a second pipe and move on out... When the first pipe rolls out the back end, the third one should be ready to slip under the front again, and so forth...

        I hope this helps ;-)

        Be careful!

        Peter
        At 1:37 PM -0500 2004-01-04, Nancy and or David wrote:
        >Soon I will be attempting to move a Vandercook Universal 1 proof press. It will not be far; one room to another, (garage to basement), all on one level on a concrete floor. I plan on placing two 2"x6"s under it, to serve as a skid, and try to move it on 1" iron pipes. It will not matter if I can only move it an inch at a time. I will be attempting this on my own.
        >I would appreciate any and all sound advise members would like to offer.
        >My brother tried to move a similar press a few years ago: with disastrous results. As a result of his experience I will be very cautious.
        >
        >Best wishes,
        >David Gettinby

        >ï To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        >ï Encountering problems? contact:
        >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >ï To unsubscribe:
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

        http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
      • Mark Wilden
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
          From: "Bill Litfin" <bill.litfin@...>

          >You might try renting a pallet jack from a local tool rental place
          (~$25 per day) and moving it that way. I moved my Vandercook 4 that way
          very easily.

          My 317 is on wheels, so this is academic to me :) but ... with a pallet
          jack, can't you only lift one end?
        • Timothy Trower
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
            Bolt the press to the 2x6s, and you should be fine. I would not move it entirely by myself, but always have someone on hand to help. To move it, it helps to have a long iron pry bar -- I have a tank track lever that I have used for years for such.

            Good luck.

            Tim

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
              Not sure when you mean by one end...

              This is the type of jack I am talking about using:
              http://www.parsteel.com/Frames/F-Images/Yellow%20Jack%202-3.gif

              I slid the forks of the jack under the base of the press - parallel
              with the rollers and cylinder. It took a couple tries to find a good,
              stable center of gravity (which will be on the cylinder end).

              Once lifted, the press was surprisingly maneuverable on the jack.

              Tip: also have a two-wheeled hand truck handy... if there is a small
              lip that the press needs to roll over, the hand truck makes an
              excellent lever to pop the wheels over the lip of, say, a garage.

              --B

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                From: "Bill Litfin" <bill.litfin@...>

                >Not sure when you mean by one end...
                >This is the type of jack I am talking about using:
                http://www.parsteel.com/Frames/F-Images/Yellow%20Jack%202-3.gif

                >I slid the forks of the jack under the base of the press - parallel
                with the rollers and cylinder. It took a couple tries to find a good,
                stable center of gravity (which will be on the cylinder end).

                OK, I get it. I didn't know if there was enough support between the
                cast-iron legs of the press to support its weight. On mine, for example,
                there are only two one-inch rods connecting the legs at each end. Even with
                the central cabinet removed, I would be leery of putting a jack under them.
                And I've seen the result where someone tried to lift it from under the
                cabinets.

                >Tip: also have a two-wheeled hand truck handy... if there is a small
                lip that the press needs to roll over, the hand truck makes an
                excellent lever to pop the wheels over the lip of, say, a garage.

                Sounds good. Something like that I've used is a j-bar (?) It's like a hand
                truck, but designed just for leveraging.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                  At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
                  >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
                  >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

                  Fritz

                  I hope that was covered by insurance!
                  How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

                  best
                  Peter

                  Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

                  http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
                • Fritz Klinke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                    All the suggestions so far are good, but I advise extreme caution with a pallet
                    jack. We don't know if this Univ I has an adjustable bed (add 600#) or is
                    automatic, or manual. But whatever, these are narrow presses and are very top
                    heavy. We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
                    jack and the repair bill was over $5000. If a pallet jack is used in the middle
                    of the press lifting on the cabinet work, the sheet metal back panel will likely
                    buckle, dumping the press. Just the back panel is about $450 to replace. We use
                    a sheet of plywood cut to just oversize to fit under the bottom of the cabinet
                    between the two legs and that spreads the weight, but this is still a 2 or 3
                    person move.

                    The original idea of using pipes and lengthwise runners made of substantial (4x4
                    or 4x6) timbers should be the best bet, especially since there must be a doorway
                    to negotiate. If the press is a manual one, take off the handle and
                    feedboard--note that the handle has a taper pin plus a set screw, and thus taper
                    pins come out only in one direction. Don't use the cabinet work with a prybar,
                    unless you like the sight of dented metal. The four corners are the strongest
                    part of that assembly. Go slow and a second person helping is highly advised.

                    Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                    1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                    Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                    970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127
                    nagraph@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
                      This particular press was owned by International Paper Co., and was the main
                      test press in one of their paper mills. Their sales are in the billions, so
                      insurance was not a factor, and neither was cost. This press had been configured
                      for use in a computer driven testing system that tested paper as it was coming
                      off the machines, and simulated web offset. It is a system most of the paper
                      mills use in one form or another. I currently have a Univ I in the shop that is
                      owned by International Paper Co. I think we will be acquiring it, but it's a far
                      ways from being letterpress friendly.

                      I have sold a Univ I manual press for $3500 (to the Bank of France) just last
                      year. I have heard of some higher prices in the $5000 to $6000 range (SOS
                      Linotype has sold several in this price range to a printer in New York). So, any
                      Univ I in good mechanical condition is worth some money. Other than that, it's
                      what people are willing to pay.

                      Fritz

                      At 2:35 PM -0700 2004-01-04, Fritz Klinke wrote:
                      >... We have repaired a Univ I that tipped over when being moved with a pallet
                      >jack and the repair bill was over $5000.

                      Fritz

                      I hope that was covered by insurance!
                      How much is a Univ 1 appraised for these day???

                      best
                      Peter

                      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

                      http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting

                      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                      . Encountering problems? contact:
                      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                      . To unsubscribe:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Nancy and or David
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
                        Good Afternoon:
                        My profound thanks to all who responded to my plea for advice on moving a
                        Vandercook proof press. I feel a
                        lot more confident that I can accomplish this move safely. Safely for myself
                        , safely for any helpers whom I will certainly have at my side, and safely
                        for the press. Thank you again!
                        Best wishes,
                        David Gettinby