Re: [PPLetterpress] buying metal type

  • Fritz Klinke
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 30, 2003
      I didn't respond sooner because I just got back from California, and actually
      saw the list from Kent when I spent an afternoon at M&H. Theo's Barth casters go
      only to 24 pt, plus the 72 pt machine he has on loan from Greg, for a total of
      16 machines, I believe. The larger sizes of Garamond can be cast on a
      supercaster, and Dan Carr, who owns the ATF Garamond mats, has successfully cast
      some of the larger sizes. But, he is not set up to do this on a commercial
      basis. Franklin Gothic mats are gone, but we may have some of what Kent wants.
      Another source is used type from several of the dealers. I toured Jim Heagy's
      warehouse in San Francisco and he has considerable tonnage in what appears to be
      some good looking type, but I doubt he has an inventory of the hundreds of cases
      he has. Churchman is another source, as well as Don Black, and I think Phil has
      listed some type recently, but maybe not what Kent is after.

      Theo does have 2 pivotal casters, and he has molds for the various point sizes.
      These are hand operated machines, one character at a time, so they see
      infrequent use, and normally only for special characters or when something won't
      cast on a Barth--an example being the wide set width W and M in 24 pt Engravers
      Roman I had Theo cast, and those 2 characters had to be done on a pivotal. Theo
      needs a young, strong apprentice who could learn to use the pivotal, and we
      could have more of the larger sizes available. But what a lot of very hard
      physical work.

      Fritz

      De: "David Goodrich" <davidgoodrich@...>
      Al: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      Sendita: Sabaton, 27an de decembro 2003, 2:56 ptm
      Temo: RE: [PPLetterpress] buying metal type