RE: [PPLetterpress] UV filtering

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23 12:34 PM
      Hi Ray,
      Just avoid flourescent lights. Regular incandescent lights generally need
      not be filtered. As for windows--simple blinds in the closed position
      should be sufficient for short-term handling of the plates.

      The bigger question is how you plan to make your negatives. There are a
      number of ways:

      1. Rely on an outside service bureau. (No initial investment but you'll pay
      much more in the long run.)
      2. Buy a high-end computer device to make digital negatives. (Big
      investment which may not be practical unless you are doing high volume.)
      3. Do makeshift DIY "negatives" on a regular laser printer. (These will be
      of low density which can lead to unpredictable results and poor quality.)
      4. Create a makeshift "darkroom" with a contact printing frame and three
      chemical trays in your closet or bathroom. Use your laser or xreox prints
      as paper negatives (preferably on translucent paper) and contact print them
      onto lith film. (Works pretty well for non-critical work--avoid halftones
      and agate type.)
      5. Build a real darkroom and get a process camera. (Takes up a lot of
      space but will provide the best quality with the least initial investment.
      Because offset printers have mostly gone DTP process cameras can now be had
      for somewhere between free and pennies on the dollar.)

      Good luck,
      Ed