Re: Fine Typography From Europe

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2003
      John, Gerald and others:

      The Ourtype site is optimized for the latest versions of Internet Explorer
      and Netscape, and requires Macromedia Flash. In addition to the problems
      John had with Opera, it runs problematically in Mozilla 1.6 (open source
      Netscape) and won't run at all in Firebird (Mozilla's "technology
      preview"). Under IE 6, I found the interface on this site a little (but not
      excessively) intrusive. Having a number of friends with older computer or
      older eyes, I'm increasingly sensitive to how technology-specific websites
      can often set too high a bar for some browsers. See Jakob Neilsen's article
      "Disabled Accessibility: The Pragmatic Approach: at
      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990613.html. The linked document from W3C
      notes, "Ensure that pages are usable when scripts, applets, or other
      programmatic objects are turned off or not supported. If this is not
      possible, provide equivalent information on an alternative accessible
      page." (6.1) and "Until user agents allow users to freeze moving content,
      avoid movement in pages" (7.3) and three other points about making scripts
      device (and software) independent.

      John, as Gerald suggests, try updating your browser. With IE, you'll reduce
      security problems by setting security to "High," restricting permission to
      run programs, and making sure you have the latest version, but, like you, I
      avoid running it. Whether or not you're running Outlook, the separate
      e-mail/contacts program, if you're running a Windows PC, you might also
      check out Spybot (free at www.spybot.info), run it (you'll be shocked),
      quarantine the buglets, and then select the "immunize" option.

      Paul

      > From: John Cornelisse <enkidu@...>
      >Subject: Re: Fine Typography From Europe.
      >
      >At 06:16 20-12-2003 +0000, you wrote:
      > >OurType: Fine Typography from Europe is recently up at
      > >
      > >http://www.ourtype.com
      > >
      > >_Counter Punch_ author Fred Smeijer is one of the principals. His typeface
      > >Arnheim is available here.
      > >
      > >Gerald
      >
      >VERY NICE WEBSITE, indeed
      >
      >My browser (Opera) went crazy on it, had to restart the computer...
      >
      >Outlook ? I do not use it, because the danger of virus, and attacks on it.
      >
      >John Cornelisse

    • E Roustom
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 22, 2003
        Hello All,

        I printed my Christmas cards this past weekend, and guess what? I was out of
        time again, could not get film, or scan a drawing, or agonize aobut type
        face selection. So I carved a simple white line woodcut, set some type
        (cobbled together three lines from my less than perfect collection), and I
        was done. I had a blast, and remembered why I got into this business in the
        first place (and perhaps confirmed why plates make sense for the not so fun
        work). To those out there who still produce good work with handset type, my
        hat's off to you.

        Happy Holidays,

        Elias
      • Maurene Fritz/Yehuda Miklaf
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 27, 2003
          I just printed the invitation to my son's bar mitzva celebration and had the
          opposite experience. I tried setting it all by hand, scraping it together
          from various fonts I have. The Hebrew was fine, but in English I was missing
          a capital Y and ran out of time, so I printed it out of a friend's computer
          and made a plate.

          Yehuda Miklaf