Re: [PPLetterpress] hardness of magnesium vs. polymer

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
      How hard exactly are you hitting it???

      This may be a question about packing - how soft and/or cushy is the packing
      you're using? The softer it is the more stress on the type/plate. I print
      with a fair (not outrageous) amount of impression and I've never had the
      problem you describe with either polymer or magnesium. Even when doubles
      feed, or feeding accidents - my plates seems to survive.

      If your mag is giving out, it could be you (pressmanship) or it could be
      your platemaker is over etching. You could also try 11 pt. rather than 16
      guage plates.

      The harder polymer plates (LSL or HSB 145 Jet) that I get from NA Graphics -
      or can be had from Boxcar have yet to fail me for impression or durability
      (up to 10,000 impressions), except with some Indian handmade papers that are
      full of fiber knots and whatever else falls into the vat... recent bad
      experience.

      Poorly processed plates (even of the hard kind) can give out.

      Try try again.

    • philoxenia@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
        I note with interest that zinc blocks are seldom mentioned; using
        only photocopies I made myself of early, very fine engravings and
        even musical notation and accompanying text I have had zinc blocks
        made and printed them with perfect results. They last forever, and
        they need no special care. They are, I'm sure, harder by far than
        the magnesium blocks. Zinc photoengravings may be had from one of
        the last family operated businesses still catering to letterpress
        folk:

        Lambert Engraving, 819 Pearl Street, Sioux City IA 51101
        fax & telephone: 712 258 7148

        The issue of trimming easily the polymers is probably a consideration,
        but for general letterpress block and for those not yet using polymer
        I can't imagine passing up this one.

        Norman McKnight
        Philoxenia Press
        Berkeley
      • Eileen O Malley Callahan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
          I'd love to get zincs: no oxidation, and lasts
          forever, but I understand there are huge problems
          with processing zincs: that is, huge problems
          with the toxic waste byproducts, and hence, a
          desire NOT to produce run off from the process
          that would poison the water has led to the demise
          of that aspect of the trade. Yes?

          And what about magnesium? What by-products there?

          thanks,

          Eileen

[...]

          • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          • Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          • To unsubscribe:

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c0kl303/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1071695811/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms
          of Service.

          --

          Eileen Grace O Malley Callahan
          Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies