Foil-Stamping from Polymer

  • The Indian Hill Press
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2001
      In May of 2001 I attended a trade show called The Supply Side, held
      in New York concurrently with the National Stationery Show. One
      exhibitor was Bauer Engraving, a well-known Massachusetts maker of
      foil-stamping and embossing dies. They were introducing commercially
      available polymer foil-stamping dies made by some special process of
      which Bauer has contracted to be the sole national distributor. The
      dies apparently can be magnetically mounted to a metal which attaches
      to one's heated chase, thus bringing the polymer to the same
      thickness as a 1/4-inch magnesium or brass die. We do our
      foil-stamping on a Windmill, and they assured me that their new
      plates would work as well as any conventional plates we've used. I
      presume this means that they do not encounter the reheating problem
      described by Harold at Boxcar Press.

      We didn't switch to Bauer's method, so I can't vouch for it. However,
      you can easily find out more by calling them. Their info: Adolph
      Bauer Engraving, 763 South Street, Holbrook, MA 02343. Tel
      781-767-4350. The person I talked to was Mark Sherwin, who seems very
      knowledgeable.

      Dan Waters
      Indian Hill Press