Re: Lurking Newbie

  • Paul W Romaine
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hi gd_Butch,

      I can't answer your question specially about Central Texas, but
      watching and sending inquiries as you've done is a good way to make
      those contacts. For additional general information, you might check
      some sites maintained by list member David Rose (also linked from the
      PPLetterpress website):

      Introduction to Letterpress Printing in the 21st Century
      http://www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm

      Annotated Bibliography of Typography, Letterpress Printing and Other
      Arts of the Book
      http://www.fiveroses.org/bibliography.htm

      There's also a Letpress listserv, with fairly high traffic,
      information on printing from foundry type, linecasting, etc. and a
      friendly crowd of printers, both professional and hobbyist. It often
      has good information, mixed in with other conversation. If you're a
      focused person, the list can be a bit frustrating at times. David has
      information about the archive and subscribing on his site:
      http://www.fiveroses.org/letpresslist.htm

      There is, incidentally, a major printing museum in Houston,
      (www.printingmuseum.org). I've never visited it, and don't know if
      they offer classes or demonstrations. I DO know, however, that it has
      a George H.W. Bush Gallery--apparently the former president had once
      been in the newspaper business!

      Best wishes,
      Paul
      Paul Romaine
    • gdbutch@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
        Paul -
        Thanks for all the good leads. I didn't know about the musuem in Houston.
        I travel there
        a good deal on business. I'll make some time to check it.
        Thanks,
        gd_butch
        aka
        Homer Riley
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        • Encountering problems? contact:
        PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        • To unsubscribe:

      • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
          Dot Perf:

          I have a client who is requesting dot perf instead of dash perf. I have
          drawers of dash perf but no dot.

          Does anyone know where to locate dot perf rule?

          Cheers,
          Bryan

          bryan hutcheson

          manifesto letterpress
          116 pleasant st. #2245
          easthampton, ma 01027

          p/f: 413.529.0009
          http://www.manifestopress.com

          Custom Letterpress Printing & Design
          ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
          Announcements ­ Stationery ­ Packaging

        • Silver MayKitten
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
            I think they want a round hole perf like a postage stamp. Alas,
            I believe that no such machunes are made any more.

            MayKitten
            --- M a n i f e s t o P r e s s <bryan@...>
            wrote:
            > Dot Perf:
            >
            > I have a client who is requesting dot perf instead of dash
            > perf. I have
            > drawers of dash perf but no dot.
            >
            > Does anyone know where to locate dot perf rule?
            >

            > Cheers,
            > Bryan
            >

            > bryan hutcheson
            >
            > manifesto letterpress
            > 116 pleasant st. #2245
            > easthampton, ma 01027
            >
            > p/f: 413.529.0009
            > http://www.manifestopress.com
            >
            > Custom Letterpress Printing & Design
            > ������������������
            > Announcements � Stationery � Packaging

            =====
            Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

            From the book, Charge of the Goddess
            BY: Doreen Valiente

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Wells Book Arts Center
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
              Bryan

              I was just looking through the American Printing Equip & Supply Catalog.
              the 2000-01 catalog (page 39) cites Steel Micro Perforation Rule. Perhaps
              this might fulfill your search for the elusive dot perf.

              yours in lead, ink & paper

              Terry

              -

              Terrence P. Chouinard