Re: [PPLetterpress] pen ruling machines

  • L.A. Book Arts, Inc
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
      This video is on Pen ruling machines , not wood engraving
      machines.-I've it somewhere.
      Yes, if you can output high enough you can emulate a woodengraving to a
      certain degree in polymer plate.
      But the making of the plate needs absolute tight control and
      calibrated equipment.
      But than a Lute making Friend of mine used to be a wood engraver of the
      OUP in the 40 and 50's.
      His stuff -first yoou think there Lithos (stone), the lines are so
      fine, the colors so transparent, I've seen his blocks,
      and haven't seen anything cut that fine since.
      He passed more than a Decade ago - I'm a woodengraver on a much smaller
      scale and inherited some of his tools.

      charles

      On Dec 6, 2003, at 9:05 AM, typetom@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 12/5/2003 philoxenia@... writes:
      > << There was, in the late 1980's, a video offered on the technology
      > and use
      > of these machines. >>
      > Hi Norman,
      > I wonder if you have any further info about this video?  One of the
      > wood
      > engraving ruling machines turned up in Denver last year, kept over the
      > years by a
      > former employee of the Sanders company.  It's now owned by a friend
      > who is a
      > papermaker/printer/artist here, and it has been shown in connection
      > with a
      > couple of demo workshops on wood engraving by the Book Arts League of
      > Colorado.  A
      > video could be very useful.
      > Thanks & best wishes, Tom
      >
      > Tom Parson
      > Now It's Up To You Publications
      > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      > (303) 777-8951
      > http://members.aol.com/typetom
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > <image.tiff>
      > <image.tiff>
      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

      ------------------------------------
      L.A Book Arts, Inc.
      The Custom Bindery
      Krause Intaglio
      310.360.7265
      www.Custombindery.com
      ------------------------------------
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
        We had a pen ruling machine at Carlisle Co. in San Francisco back in the 60s
        that saw very active use. We did a lot of ledger books for cities and counties
        that then had column heads printed letterpress and were hand bound in our
        bindery. But one day I came into work and it was gone--the explanation being
        that the operator of the machine, who had what looked like permanently colored
        hands of blue and red, refused to run it any more, so out it went. Our local
        governments here still have new bound books made on occasion and one of the last
        places that does these is in Iowa somewhere. I kept the master book showing all
        the rule combinations and pen types that Hickock offered for these machines.

        Fritz

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
          Tom:

          It will be Monday before I can research the video; I think it
          must have been in Type & Press or some early issues of The Printer.
          It will take about an hour to scan the classifieds which is where
          I know I saw it. It was not offered by Mr. Schlesinger who has done
          so many fine letterpress videos, it was another individual.

          Norman L. McKnight
          Philoxenia Press
          Berkeley
        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            Hi Norman,
            Not so important to me if it's about the pen ruling machine. I had the
            impression it was about the wood engraving machine. Thanks in either case! Don't
            spend too much effort on it, though.