Lurking Newbie

  • gd_butch
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hello to all.

      I joined the group earlier this week and have been reading
      the posts. I have an interest in printing that started years
      ago (1940s-50s). My Dad was a newspaperman before and after
      WWII. As a child, and later, I visited the newspaper plant many
      times. The sights, sounds, and smells of the composing room
      and the press room are still with me.

      As a lad of 19 I worked part time for a year running a
      Multilith 1250 press. I've never spent any time around a
      letterpress, but I am starting to get the bug and am
      seriously considering investing time and money to take it
      on as a hobby.

      Are there any group members in the Central Texas area which
      is where I'm located? There seems to be a lot of members
      in other parts of the world, but I haven't seen any mention
      of this area.

      Thanks,
      gdbutch
    • Paul W Romaine
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
        Hi gd_Butch,

        I can't answer your question specially about Central Texas, but
        watching and sending inquiries as you've done is a good way to make
        those contacts. For additional general information, you might check
        some sites maintained by list member David Rose (also linked from the
        PPLetterpress website):

        Introduction to Letterpress Printing in the 21st Century
        http://www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm

        Annotated Bibliography of Typography, Letterpress Printing and Other
        Arts of the Book
        http://www.fiveroses.org/bibliography.htm

        There's also a Letpress listserv, with fairly high traffic,
        information on printing from foundry type, linecasting, etc. and a
        friendly crowd of printers, both professional and hobbyist. It often
        has good information, mixed in with other conversation. If you're a
        focused person, the list can be a bit frustrating at times. David has
        information about the archive and subscribing on his site:
        http://www.fiveroses.org/letpresslist.htm

        There is, incidentally, a major printing museum in Houston,
        (www.printingmuseum.org). I've never visited it, and don't know if
        they offer classes or demonstrations. I DO know, however, that it has
        a George H.W. Bush Gallery--apparently the former president had once
        been in the newspaper business!

        Best wishes,
        Paul
        Paul Romaine
      • gdbutch@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
          Paul -
          Thanks for all the good leads. I didn't know about the musuem in Houston.
          I travel there
          a good deal on business. I'll make some time to check it.
          Thanks,
          gd_butch
          aka
          Homer Riley
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          • Encountering problems? contact:
          PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          • To unsubscribe:

        • M a n i f e s t o P r e s s
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
            Dot Perf:

            I have a client who is requesting dot perf instead of dash perf. I have
            drawers of dash perf but no dot.

            Does anyone know where to locate dot perf rule?

            Cheers,
            Bryan

            bryan hutcheson

            manifesto letterpress
            116 pleasant st. #2245
            easthampton, ma 01027

            p/f: 413.529.0009
            http://www.manifestopress.com

            Custom Letterpress Printing & Design
            ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
            Announcements ­ Stationery ­ Packaging

          • Silver MayKitten
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
              I think they want a round hole perf like a postage stamp. Alas,
              I believe that no such machunes are made any more.

              MayKitten
              --- M a n i f e s t o P r e s s <bryan@...>
              wrote:
              > Dot Perf:
              >
              > I have a client who is requesting dot perf instead of dash
              > perf. I have
              > drawers of dash perf but no dot.
              >
              > Does anyone know where to locate dot perf rule?
              >

              > Cheers,
              > Bryan
              >

              > bryan hutcheson
              >
              > manifesto letterpress
              > 116 pleasant st. #2245
              > easthampton, ma 01027
              >
              > p/f: 413.529.0009
              > http://www.manifestopress.com
              >
              > Custom Letterpress Printing & Design
              > ������������������
              > Announcements � Stationery � Packaging

              =====
              Pagan, Pagan, what are you finding?

              From the book, Charge of the Goddess
              BY: Doreen Valiente

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • Wells Book Arts Center
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
                Bryan

                I was just looking through the American Printing Equip & Supply Catalog.
                the 2000-01 catalog (page 39) cites Steel Micro Perforation Rule. Perhaps
                this might fulfill your search for the elusive dot perf.

                yours in lead, ink & paper

                Terry

                -

                Terrence P. Chouinard