Re: [PPLetterpress] pen ruling machines

  • typetom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
      In a message dated 12/5/2003 philoxenia@... writes:
      << There was, in the late 1980's, a video offered on the technology and use
      of these machines. >>
      Hi Norman,
      I wonder if you have any further info about this video? One of the wood
      engraving ruling machines turned up in Denver last year, kept over the years by a
      former employee of the Sanders company. It's now owned by a friend who is a
      papermaker/printer/artist here, and it has been shown in connection with a
      couple of demo workshops on wood engraving by the Book Arts League of Colorado. A
      video could be very useful.
      Thanks & best wishes, Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
      (303) 777-8951
      http://members.aol.com/typetom
    • L.A. Book Arts, Inc
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
        This video is on Pen ruling machines , not wood engraving
        machines.-I've it somewhere.
        Yes, if you can output high enough you can emulate a woodengraving to a
        certain degree in polymer plate.
        But the making of the plate needs absolute tight control and
        calibrated equipment.
        But than a Lute making Friend of mine used to be a wood engraver of the
        OUP in the 40 and 50's.
        His stuff -first yoou think there Lithos (stone), the lines are so
        fine, the colors so transparent, I've seen his blocks,
        and haven't seen anything cut that fine since.
        He passed more than a Decade ago - I'm a woodengraver on a much smaller
        scale and inherited some of his tools.

        charles

        On Dec 6, 2003, at 9:05 AM, typetom@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/5/2003 philoxenia@... writes:
        > << There was, in the late 1980's, a video offered on the technology
        > and use
        > of these machines. >>
        > Hi Norman,
        > I wonder if you have any further info about this video?  One of the
        > wood
        > engraving ruling machines turned up in Denver last year, kept over the
        > years by a
        > former employee of the Sanders company.  It's now owned by a friend
        > who is a
        > papermaker/printer/artist here, and it has been shown in connection
        > with a
        > couple of demo workshops on wood engraving by the Book Arts League of
        > Colorado.  A
        > video could be very useful.
        > Thanks & best wishes, Tom
        >
        > Tom Parson
        > Now It's Up To You Publications
        > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        > (303) 777-8951
        > http://members.aol.com/typetom
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <image.tiff>
        > <image.tiff>
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > • Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > • To unsubscribe:

        ------------------------------------
        L.A Book Arts, Inc.
        The Custom Bindery
        Krause Intaglio
        310.360.7265
        www.Custombindery.com
        ------------------------------------
      • Fritz Klinke
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
          We had a pen ruling machine at Carlisle Co. in San Francisco back in the 60s
          that saw very active use. We did a lot of ledger books for cities and counties
          that then had column heads printed letterpress and were hand bound in our
          bindery. But one day I came into work and it was gone--the explanation being
          that the operator of the machine, who had what looked like permanently colored
          hands of blue and red, refused to run it any more, so out it went. Our local
          governments here still have new bound books made on occasion and one of the last
          places that does these is in Iowa somewhere. I kept the master book showing all
          the rule combinations and pen types that Hickock offered for these machines.

          Fritz

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            Tom:

            It will be Monday before I can research the video; I think it
            must have been in Type & Press or some early issues of The Printer.
            It will take about an hour to scan the classifieds which is where
            I know I saw it. It was not offered by Mr. Schlesinger who has done
            so many fine letterpress videos, it was another individual.

            Norman L. McKnight
            Philoxenia Press
            Berkeley
          • typetom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
              Hi Norman,
              Not so important to me if it's about the pen ruling machine. I had the
              impression it was about the wood engraving machine. Thanks in either case! Don't
              spend too much effort on it, though.