Re: Thursday, 11/29

  • harold@boxcarpress.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
      Sorry it's taken a while to re-post the polymer foil stamping info--
      busy week. This is what I posted a month or two back to
      Book_Arts-L on the subject:

      They work alright when used at the leisurely pace of Kwik-prints,
      Kingsleys, and Kensols. They aren't suited for foil stamping at
      high speeds (say, in Kluges) because they take too long to re-
      heat between impressions. You can mount them with pressure-
      sensitive adhesive onto a brass bar stock (or similar material) to
      fit them in the chase.

      If anyone is interested, I sell raw plates, adhesive, and custom
      sizes of brass bar stock. The water-wash polymer I use and sell,
      made by Jet, costs $32 for an A4 (8.25x11.75) steel-backed plate
      with .037 face relief and "Super Hard" 90 Shore D Hardness.
      They can take temperatures up to 360 degress F, whereas the
      less expensive letterpress plates delaminate around 280. The
      polymer is the same material, but it has a different adhesive
      holding it to the steel backing. Contact me off-list for further
      information on any of these products.

      If you're not set up for making photopolymer plates, then I can
      process plates as well. I charge a $25 minimum or $0.80/
      square inch for hot foil plates (compared to $0.55 for letterpress
      plates).

      I'm producing my 2002 catalog which lists these services in
      more detail. My products are mainly for the digital letterpress
      printer. Contact me if you'd like to receive a copy when it's ready
      later this year.

      If anyone has additional questions, please let me know.

      Harold