pen ruling machines

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      Michael:

      These are fascinating machines; I used to watch them in
      action in Portland Oregon in Old Town when a ruling company
      was still in operation. They had big windows onto the street
      and they were as beautifull as you observed them to be. They
      were all gone the next year I passed through. There was, in
      the late 1980's, a video offered on the technology and use of
      these machines. I'm sorry I didn't get one. This is an inter-
      esting area of technology and not at all well known.

      Norman L. McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
        In a message dated 12/5/2003 philoxenia@... writes:
        << There was, in the late 1980's, a video offered on the technology and use
        of these machines. >>
        Hi Norman,
        I wonder if you have any further info about this video? One of the wood
        engraving ruling machines turned up in Denver last year, kept over the years by a
        former employee of the Sanders company. It's now owned by a friend who is a
        papermaker/printer/artist here, and it has been shown in connection with a
        couple of demo workshops on wood engraving by the Book Arts League of Colorado. A
        video could be very useful.
        Thanks & best wishes, Tom

        Tom Parson
        Now It's Up To You Publications
        157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951
        http://members.aol.com/typetom
      • L.A. Book Arts, Inc
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
          This video is on Pen ruling machines , not wood engraving
          machines.-I've it somewhere.
          Yes, if you can output high enough you can emulate a woodengraving to a
          certain degree in polymer plate.
          But the making of the plate needs absolute tight control and
          calibrated equipment.
          But than a Lute making Friend of mine used to be a wood engraver of the
          OUP in the 40 and 50's.
          His stuff -first yoou think there Lithos (stone), the lines are so
          fine, the colors so transparent, I've seen his blocks,
          and haven't seen anything cut that fine since.
          He passed more than a Decade ago - I'm a woodengraver on a much smaller
          scale and inherited some of his tools.

          charles

          On Dec 6, 2003, at 9:05 AM, typetom@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 12/5/2003 philoxenia@... writes:
          > << There was, in the late 1980's, a video offered on the technology
          > and use
          > of these machines. >>
          > Hi Norman,
          > I wonder if you have any further info about this video?  One of the
          > wood
          > engraving ruling machines turned up in Denver last year, kept over the
          > years by a
          > former employee of the Sanders company.  It's now owned by a friend
          > who is a
          > papermaker/printer/artist here, and it has been shown in connection
          > with a
          > couple of demo workshops on wood engraving by the Book Arts League of
          > Colorado.  A
          > video could be very useful.
          > Thanks & best wishes, Tom
          >
          > Tom Parson
          > Now It's Up To You Publications
          > 157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209
          > (303) 777-8951
          > http://members.aol.com/typetom
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <image.tiff>
          > <image.tiff>
          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > • Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > • To unsubscribe:

          ------------------------------------
          L.A Book Arts, Inc.
          The Custom Bindery
          Krause Intaglio
          310.360.7265
          www.Custombindery.com
          ------------------------------------
        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            We had a pen ruling machine at Carlisle Co. in San Francisco back in the 60s
            that saw very active use. We did a lot of ledger books for cities and counties
            that then had column heads printed letterpress and were hand bound in our
            bindery. But one day I came into work and it was gone--the explanation being
            that the operator of the machine, who had what looked like permanently colored
            hands of blue and red, refused to run it any more, so out it went. Our local
            governments here still have new bound books made on occasion and one of the last
            places that does these is in Iowa somewhere. I kept the master book showing all
            the rule combinations and pen types that Hickock offered for these machines.

            Fritz

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
              Tom:

              It will be Monday before I can research the video; I think it
              must have been in Type & Press or some early issues of The Printer.
              It will take about an hour to scan the classifieds which is where
              I know I saw it. It was not offered by Mr. Schlesinger who has done
              so many fine letterpress videos, it was another individual.

              Norman L. McKnight
              Philoxenia Press
              Berkeley
            • typetom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
                Hi Norman,
                Not so important to me if it's about the pen ruling machine. I had the
                impression it was about the wood engraving machine. Thanks in either case! Don't
                spend too much effort on it, though.