photos

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      Phil:

      It was J. Horton; a better person to have gotten these things
      would be hard to find, as he is a real encouragement to wood-
      engravers at all levels and he knows how to use this stuff.
      The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
      Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
      away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
      a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
      to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
      of the Foundry.

      Norman L. McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
    • Jsf73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        In a message dated 12/5/03 11:17:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        philoxenia@... writes:

        > Phil:
        >
        > It was J. Horton; a better person to have gotten these things
        > would be hard to find, as he is a real encouragement to wood-
        > engravers at all levels and he knows how to use this stuff.
        > The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
        > Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
        > away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
        > a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
        > to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
        > of the Foundry.
        >
        > Norman L. McKnight
        > Philoxenia Press
        > Berkeley

        Norman,

        Since you mentioned his name it is Jim Horton's ruling machine that is
        pictured in the photos. I was at the WEN summer workshop at Jim's.

        I have seen some small stamps Jim created using these machines and they are
        simply amazing.

        I wonder if I could recreate the look using polymer plates and a design from
        illustrator.

      • Ph. D.
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
          No, I'm still in the United States. The text is actually Esperanto.
          I would like to visit Bauer someday (and if I don't do it soon, I
          may never get the chance). I've seen your work, and so I know
          that you will do some beautiful things with the Hyperion. Your
          broadsides are beautifully designed and executed.

          --Ph. D.

          Sendita: Vendredon, 05an de decembro 2003, 11:13 ptm
          Temo: [PPLetterpress] photos

          Phil:
          The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
          Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
          away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
          a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
          to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
          of the Foundry.

          Norman L. McKnight
          Philoxenia Press
          Berkeley