photos

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
      John:

      Thanks for responding to my query about the ruling machines; I
      saw one of them once, owned by a prominent wood-engraver who had
      it from the old Sander Wood Engraving Company of Chicago. It is
      amazing what gets thrown out, and even more amazing what manages
      to get saved. God bless the hunter-gatherers in our midst.

      Norman L. McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
    • Norman L McKnight
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
        Phil:

        It was J. Horton; a better person to have gotten these things
        would be hard to find, as he is a real encouragement to wood-
        engravers at all levels and he knows how to use this stuff.
        The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
        Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
        away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
        a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
        to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
        of the Foundry.

        Norman L. McKnight
        Philoxenia Press
        Berkeley
      • Jsf73@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
          In a message dated 12/5/03 11:17:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          philoxenia@... writes:

          > Phil:
          >
          > It was J. Horton; a better person to have gotten these things
          > would be hard to find, as he is a real encouragement to wood-
          > engravers at all levels and he knows how to use this stuff.
          > The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
          > Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
          > away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
          > a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
          > to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
          > of the Foundry.
          >
          > Norman L. McKnight
          > Philoxenia Press
          > Berkeley

          Norman,

          Since you mentioned his name it is Jim Horton's ruling machine that is
          pictured in the photos. I was at the WEN summer workshop at Jim's.

          I have seen some small stamps Jim created using these machines and they are
          simply amazing.

          I wonder if I could recreate the look using polymer plates and a design from
          illustrator.

        • Ph. D.
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
            No, I'm still in the United States. The text is actually Esperanto.
            I would like to visit Bauer someday (and if I don't do it soon, I
            may never get the chance). I've seen your work, and so I know
            that you will do some beautiful things with the Hyperion. Your
            broadsides are beautifully designed and executed.

            --Ph. D.

            Sendita: Vendredon, 05an de decembro 2003, 11:13 ptm
            Temo: [PPLetterpress] photos

            Phil:
            The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
            Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
            away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
            a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
            to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
            of the Foundry.

            Norman L. McKnight
            Philoxenia Press
            Berkeley