Re: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning

  • paul white
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
      Has anyone thought of vacuum pumps? I know there are vacuum machines
      for food storage.
      -Paul White

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
        Norman

        Actually, anything that will completely block oxygen will work. Even water. Photo
        folks use a "nitrogen blanket" to protect their various chemicals. Comes in a spray can. Heavier than air. Works well.

        Gerald

        fromI think being airtight they would
        > work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
        > with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
        > glass containers....
        > Norman L. McKnight
        > Philoxenia Press
        > Berkeley
      • E Roustom
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
          > The glass containers are very tight
          > and I have never had a problem.

          Somewhat on the fringe as far worries are concerned - but how light
          sensitive is the ink as a mass - is using a clear glass container a problem,
          especially with Pantones? Anyone know, or want to guess?

          Elias
        • Norman L McKnight
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
            Elias:

            I didn't mean to imply that I emptied the cans directly into a
            glass container; I simply place a skin paper on the clean surface
            of the ink in the can, place the entire can into the glass container
            and close its air-tight lid. Nothing more is needed, not even tape
            around the lid of the can.

            Norman