photos

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
      The "photos" link to this site has very little activity, and I hope
      to remedy that with a few things eventually, particularly something
      I am working on at present, but there are currently two fine photos
      of a "ruling machine" without any information regarding its use or
      its ownership. Is this one of those rare wood-engraver's ruling
      machines? Some people have the coolest toys!

      Norman L. McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
    • Jsf73@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2003
        In a message dated 12/4/03 10:20:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        philoxenia@... writes:

        > The "photos" link to this site has very little activity, and I hope
        > to remedy that with a few things eventually, particularly something
        > I am working on at present, but there are currently two fine photos
        > of a "ruling machine" without any information regarding its use or
        > its ownership. Is this one of those rare wood-engraver's ruling
        > machines? Some people have the coolest toys!
        >
        > Norman L. McKnight

        Norman,

        Sorry I didnt include any info on the photos. They are indeed engraving
        ruling machines used for either wood or copper or steel engraving. The owner of
        that particular machine actually owns three differeent machines. Lucky guy. I
        wont say who owns them so he isnt the target of a theft ;-)

        I would like to see some photos of someone washing out plates by hand if
        anyone is game to post any.

        John Furr

      • Norman L McKnight
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
          John:

          Thanks for responding to my query about the ruling machines; I
          saw one of them once, owned by a prominent wood-engraver who had
          it from the old Sander Wood Engraving Company of Chicago. It is
          amazing what gets thrown out, and even more amazing what manages
          to get saved. God bless the hunter-gatherers in our midst.

          Norman L. McKnight
          Philoxenia Press
          Berkeley
        • Norman L McKnight
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
            Phil:

            It was J. Horton; a better person to have gotten these things
            would be hard to find, as he is a real encouragement to wood-
            engravers at all levels and he knows how to use this stuff.
            The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
            Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
            away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
            a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
            to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
            of the Foundry.

            Norman L. McKnight
            Philoxenia Press
            Berkeley
          • Jsf73@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2003
              In a message dated 12/5/03 11:17:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              philoxenia@... writes:

              > Phil:
              >
              > It was J. Horton; a better person to have gotten these things
              > would be hard to find, as he is a real encouragement to wood-
              > engravers at all levels and he knows how to use this stuff.
              > The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
              > Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
              > away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
              > a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
              > to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
              > of the Foundry.
              >
              > Norman L. McKnight
              > Philoxenia Press
              > Berkeley

              Norman,

              Since you mentioned his name it is Jim Horton's ruling machine that is
              pictured in the photos. I was at the WEN summer workshop at Jim's.

              I have seen some small stamps Jim created using these machines and they are
              simply amazing.

              I wonder if I could recreate the look using polymer plates and a design from
              illustrator.

            • Ph. D.
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2003
                No, I'm still in the United States. The text is actually Esperanto.
                I would like to visit Bauer someday (and if I don't do it soon, I
                may never get the chance). I've seen your work, and so I know
                that you will do some beautiful things with the Hyperion. Your
                broadsides are beautifully designed and executed.

                --Ph. D.

                Sendita: Vendredon, 05an de decembro 2003, 11:13 ptm
                Temo: [PPLetterpress] photos

                Phil:
                The date in your posting looks like Spain; you aren't in
                Barcelona checking out the Bauer Foundry are you? I'm just putting
                away seven huge fonts of 24 point Hyperion because I am setting
                a German children's story with illustrations. I know you will want
                to see it. I am planning to send a copy to Wolfgang Hartmann, Dir.
                of the Foundry.

                Norman L. McKnight
                Philoxenia Press
                Berkeley