Re: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
      Are you sure this method works with all inks, or just this one particular
      ink? How about ones with driers?

      Can you be more specific about the pyrex brand? I'd like to try it.

      e.

      > From: "Norman L McKnight" <philoxenia@...>
      > Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:43:03 -0000
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning
      >
      > After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
      > stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
      > cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
      > storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
      > board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
      > lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
      > the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.
      >
      > I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
      > is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
      > tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
      > does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
      > but I can usually manage that.
      >
      > Norman L. McKnight
      > Philoxenia Press
      > Berkeley

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

    • Norman L McKnight
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
        Elias:

        I couldn't locate where you are, but Pyrex is a trade name for oven-
        proof glass cookware; they also make glass containers for storing
        foods in the refrigerator. These are also ovenproof, but they have
        a plastic, tightly sealed lid which keeps out the air and preserves
        the food. These are not the cheap plastic containers which are also
        available and not very secure. The glass containers are very tight
        and I have never had a problem. I think being airtight they would
        work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
        with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
        glass containers. I am only speaking from personal experience, and
        the frustration of having lost much ink while getting rid of the
        mess on top of the can when skinning occurs. I now open the container
        to a creamy, smooth ink just as it came from the manufacturer.
        These containers must be available in the UK, Europe and elsewhere,
        perhaps under a different name. The key is to have a very tight fit
        which keeps out the air.

        Norman L. McKnight
        Philoxenia Press
        Berkeley
      • paul white
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
          Has anyone thought of vacuum pumps? I know there are vacuum machines
          for food storage.
          -Paul White

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
            Norman

            Actually, anything that will completely block oxygen will work. Even water. Photo
            folks use a "nitrogen blanket" to protect their various chemicals. Comes in a spray can. Heavier than air. Works well.

            Gerald

            fromI think being airtight they would
            > work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
            > with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
            > glass containers....
            > Norman L. McKnight
            > Philoxenia Press
            > Berkeley
          • E Roustom
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
              > The glass containers are very tight
              > and I have never had a problem.

              Somewhat on the fringe as far worries are concerned - but how light
              sensitive is the ink as a mass - is using a clear glass container a problem,
              especially with Pantones? Anyone know, or want to guess?

              Elias
            • Norman L McKnight
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                Elias:

                I didn't mean to imply that I emptied the cans directly into a
                glass container; I simply place a skin paper on the clean surface
                of the ink in the can, place the entire can into the glass container
                and close its air-tight lid. Nothing more is needed, not even tape
                around the lid of the can.

                Norman