ink skinning

  • Norman L McKnight
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
      After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
      stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
      cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
      storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
      board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
      lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
      the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.

      I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
      is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
      tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
      does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
      but I can usually manage that.

      Norman L. McKnight
      Philoxenia Press
      Berkeley
    • E Roustom
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
        Are you sure this method works with all inks, or just this one particular
        ink? How about ones with driers?

        Can you be more specific about the pyrex brand? I'd like to try it.

        e.

        > From: "Norman L McKnight" <philoxenia@...>
        > Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:43:03 -0000
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning
        >
        > After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
        > stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
        > cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
        > storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
        > board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
        > lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
        > the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.
        >
        > I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
        > is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
        > tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
        > does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
        > but I can usually manage that.
        >
        > Norman L. McKnight
        > Philoxenia Press
        > Berkeley

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > • Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > • To unsubscribe:

      • Norman L McKnight
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
          Elias:

          I couldn't locate where you are, but Pyrex is a trade name for oven-
          proof glass cookware; they also make glass containers for storing
          foods in the refrigerator. These are also ovenproof, but they have
          a plastic, tightly sealed lid which keeps out the air and preserves
          the food. These are not the cheap plastic containers which are also
          available and not very secure. The glass containers are very tight
          and I have never had a problem. I think being airtight they would
          work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
          with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
          glass containers. I am only speaking from personal experience, and
          the frustration of having lost much ink while getting rid of the
          mess on top of the can when skinning occurs. I now open the container
          to a creamy, smooth ink just as it came from the manufacturer.
          These containers must be available in the UK, Europe and elsewhere,
          perhaps under a different name. The key is to have a very tight fit
          which keeps out the air.

          Norman L. McKnight
          Philoxenia Press
          Berkeley
        • paul white
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
            Has anyone thought of vacuum pumps? I know there are vacuum machines
            for food storage.
            -Paul White

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
              Norman

              Actually, anything that will completely block oxygen will work. Even water. Photo
              folks use a "nitrogen blanket" to protect their various chemicals. Comes in a spray can. Heavier than air. Works well.

              Gerald

              fromI think being airtight they would
              > work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
              > with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
              > glass containers....
              > Norman L. McKnight
              > Philoxenia Press
              > Berkeley
            • E Roustom
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                > The glass containers are very tight
                > and I have never had a problem.

                Somewhat on the fringe as far worries are concerned - but how light
                sensitive is the ink as a mass - is using a clear glass container a problem,
                especially with Pantones? Anyone know, or want to guess?

                Elias
              • Norman L McKnight
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Elias:

                  I didn't mean to imply that I emptied the cans directly into a
                  glass container; I simply place a skin paper on the clean surface
                  of the ink in the can, place the entire can into the glass container
                  and close its air-tight lid. Nothing more is needed, not even tape
                  around the lid of the can.

                  Norman