Re: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
      Van Son's recommendation for their oil based inks is a sheet of Saran Wrap
      (has to be this brand - the others don't work for some reason). Cut a piece
      out that is considerably larger than the can, center over open can, press in
      with circular cardboard cut out that comes with ink, tight, and your ink is
      sealed up. Works well.

      Van Son put out a small publication on their inks years ago, with many
      helpful hints (mostly for offset) and technical information describing all
      the inks they make. If you can find one, it's an enjoyable read, and a great
      reference.

      Elias
    • Norman L McKnight
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
        After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
        stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
        cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
        storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
        board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
        lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
        the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.

        I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
        is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
        tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
        does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
        but I can usually manage that.

        Norman L. McKnight
        Philoxenia Press
        Berkeley
      • E Roustom
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
          Are you sure this method works with all inks, or just this one particular
          ink? How about ones with driers?

          Can you be more specific about the pyrex brand? I'd like to try it.

          e.

          > From: "Norman L McKnight" <philoxenia@...>
          > Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:43:03 -0000
          > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning
          >
          > After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
          > stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
          > cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
          > storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
          > board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
          > lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
          > the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.
          >
          > I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
          > is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
          > tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
          > does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
          > but I can usually manage that.
          >
          > Norman L. McKnight
          > Philoxenia Press
          > Berkeley

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > • Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > • To unsubscribe:

        • Norman L McKnight
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
            Elias:

            I couldn't locate where you are, but Pyrex is a trade name for oven-
            proof glass cookware; they also make glass containers for storing
            foods in the refrigerator. These are also ovenproof, but they have
            a plastic, tightly sealed lid which keeps out the air and preserves
            the food. These are not the cheap plastic containers which are also
            available and not very secure. The glass containers are very tight
            and I have never had a problem. I think being airtight they would
            work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
            with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
            glass containers. I am only speaking from personal experience, and
            the frustration of having lost much ink while getting rid of the
            mess on top of the can when skinning occurs. I now open the container
            to a creamy, smooth ink just as it came from the manufacturer.
            These containers must be available in the UK, Europe and elsewhere,
            perhaps under a different name. The key is to have a very tight fit
            which keeps out the air.

            Norman L. McKnight
            Philoxenia Press
            Berkeley
          • paul white
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
              Has anyone thought of vacuum pumps? I know there are vacuum machines
              for food storage.
              -Paul White

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                Norman

                Actually, anything that will completely block oxygen will work. Even water. Photo
                folks use a "nitrogen blanket" to protect their various chemicals. Comes in a spray can. Heavier than air. Works well.

                Gerald

                fromI think being airtight they would
                > work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
                > with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
                > glass containers....
                > Norman L. McKnight
                > Philoxenia Press
                > Berkeley
              • E Roustom
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                  > The glass containers are very tight
                  > and I have never had a problem.

                  Somewhat on the fringe as far worries are concerned - but how light
                  sensitive is the ink as a mass - is using a clear glass container a problem,
                  especially with Pantones? Anyone know, or want to guess?

                  Elias
                • Norman L McKnight
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Elias:

                    I didn't mean to imply that I emptied the cans directly into a
                    glass container; I simply place a skin paper on the clean surface
                    of the ink in the can, place the entire can into the glass container
                    and close its air-tight lid. Nothing more is needed, not even tape
                    around the lid of the can.

                    Norman