Re: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning

  • mike.jacobs
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
      Old used metal litho plates provide a handy palatte for rolling out
      letterpress ink, They can also be use for mixing and if folded in half with
      any remaining ink inside, the ink will keep for an amazing period.
      Mike.
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
        Van Son's recommendation for their oil based inks is a sheet of Saran Wrap
        (has to be this brand - the others don't work for some reason). Cut a piece
        out that is considerably larger than the can, center over open can, press in
        with circular cardboard cut out that comes with ink, tight, and your ink is
        sealed up. Works well.

        Van Son put out a small publication on their inks years ago, with many
        helpful hints (mostly for offset) and technical information describing all
        the inks they make. If you can find one, it's an enjoyable read, and a great
        reference.

        Elias
      • Norman L McKnight
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
          After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
          stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
          cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
          storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
          board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
          lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
          the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.

          I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
          is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
          tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
          does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
          but I can usually manage that.

          Norman L. McKnight
          Philoxenia Press
          Berkeley
        • E Roustom
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
            Are you sure this method works with all inks, or just this one particular
            ink? How about ones with driers?

            Can you be more specific about the pyrex brand? I'd like to try it.

            e.

            > From: "Norman L McKnight" <philoxenia@...>
            > Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:43:03 -0000
            > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning
            >
            > After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
            > stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
            > cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
            > storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
            > board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
            > lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
            > the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.
            >
            > I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
            > is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
            > tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
            > does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
            > but I can usually manage that.
            >
            > Norman L. McKnight
            > Philoxenia Press
            > Berkeley

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > • Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > • To unsubscribe:

          • Norman L McKnight
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
              Elias:

              I couldn't locate where you are, but Pyrex is a trade name for oven-
              proof glass cookware; they also make glass containers for storing
              foods in the refrigerator. These are also ovenproof, but they have
              a plastic, tightly sealed lid which keeps out the air and preserves
              the food. These are not the cheap plastic containers which are also
              available and not very secure. The glass containers are very tight
              and I have never had a problem. I think being airtight they would
              work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
              with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
              glass containers. I am only speaking from personal experience, and
              the frustration of having lost much ink while getting rid of the
              mess on top of the can when skinning occurs. I now open the container
              to a creamy, smooth ink just as it came from the manufacturer.
              These containers must be available in the UK, Europe and elsewhere,
              perhaps under a different name. The key is to have a very tight fit
              which keeps out the air.

              Norman L. McKnight
              Philoxenia Press
              Berkeley
            • paul white
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                Has anyone thought of vacuum pumps? I know there are vacuum machines
                for food storage.
                -Paul White

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Norman

                  Actually, anything that will completely block oxygen will work. Even water. Photo
                  folks use a "nitrogen blanket" to protect their various chemicals. Comes in a spray can. Heavier than air. Works well.

                  Gerald

                  fromI think being airtight they would
                  > work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
                  > with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
                  > glass containers....
                  > Norman L. McKnight
                  > Philoxenia Press
                  > Berkeley
                • E Roustom
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                    > The glass containers are very tight
                    > and I have never had a problem.

                    Somewhat on the fringe as far worries are concerned - but how light
                    sensitive is the ink as a mass - is using a clear glass container a problem,
                    especially with Pantones? Anyone know, or want to guess?

                    Elias
                  • Norman L McKnight
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Elias:

                      I didn't mean to imply that I emptied the cans directly into a
                      glass container; I simply place a skin paper on the clean surface
                      of the ink in the can, place the entire can into the glass container
                      and close its air-tight lid. Nothing more is needed, not even tape
                      around the lid of the can.

                      Norman