Re: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning

  • Kat Ran Press
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
      Yes, tubes sound like a fine idea, but
      how does one get leftover ink back
      in the tube?

      Michael Russem
      --
      Kat Ran Press
      221 Pine Street #108
      Florence, Massachusetts 01062
      413.584.1152 phone & fax
      katran@...
      http://www.katranpress.com
    • paul white
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
        What about putting some mineral spirits on the ink in the can and then
        pouring it off and wicking the remainder with a rag?
        -Paul White

        On Dec 4, 2003, at 10:16 AM, Kathleen Whalen wrote:

        > Try a mylar 'lid' in the can. I don't know whether it will work on
        > organic
        > vermilion, but it seems to work on the oil based inks I use. Mind you,
        > I too
        > have given up on ink in cans in favour of transferring everything to
        > tubes,
        > apart that is for black which seems to get used up quickly enough once
        > a new
        > book is started - then I tube any left when the book's done, ready for
        > continued use for odd jobbing work.
        >

        > Graham Moss
        > Incline Press
        > 36 Bow Street
        > Oldham OL1 1SJ� England
        > (44) 0161 627 1966
        > http://www.inclinepress.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <image.tiff>
        > <image.tiff>
        > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > � Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > � To unsubscribe:

      • Kathleen Whalen

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
            I've had good luck in the past scraping reserve ink off the mixing plate onto a large (8x8 in) scrap of 4mil plastic sheeting, folding and sealing the sheet with tape.
            This will keep for a week or so, and with 'rubberbased' inks, will keep months.

            At 12:06 PM -0500 2003-12-04, Kat Ran Press wrote:
            >Yes, tubes sound like a fine idea, but
            >how does one get leftover ink back
            >in the tube?
            >

            >Michael Russem
            >--
            >Kat Ran Press
            >221 Pine Street #108
            >Florence, Massachusetts 01062
            >413.584.1152 phone & fax
            >katran@...
            >http://www.katranpress.com
            >

            >ï To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
            >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            >ï Encountering problems? contact:
            >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            >ï To unsubscribe:

            Peter Fraterdeus http://www.fraterdeus.com

            http://www.semiotx.com Web Strategy Consulting
          • mike.jacobs
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
              Old used metal litho plates provide a handy palatte for rolling out
              letterpress ink, They can also be use for mixing and if folded in half with
              any remaining ink inside, the ink will keep for an amazing period.
              Mike.
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                Van Son's recommendation for their oil based inks is a sheet of Saran Wrap
                (has to be this brand - the others don't work for some reason). Cut a piece
                out that is considerably larger than the can, center over open can, press in
                with circular cardboard cut out that comes with ink, tight, and your ink is
                sealed up. Works well.

                Van Son put out a small publication on their inks years ago, with many
                helpful hints (mostly for offset) and technical information describing all
                the inks they make. If you can find one, it's an enjoyable read, and a great
                reference.

                Elias
              • Norman L McKnight
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                  After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
                  stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
                  cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
                  storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
                  board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
                  lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
                  the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.

                  I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
                  is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
                  tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
                  does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
                  but I can usually manage that.

                  Norman L. McKnight
                  Philoxenia Press
                  Berkeley
                • E Roustom
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Are you sure this method works with all inks, or just this one particular
                    ink? How about ones with driers?

                    Can you be more specific about the pyrex brand? I'd like to try it.

                    e.

                    > From: "Norman L McKnight" <philoxenia@...>
                    > Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:43:03 -0000
                    > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [PPLetterpress] ink skinning
                    >
                    > After reviewing, but not trying, the various methods outlined, i.e.
                    > stuffing ink back into tubes, covering the ink with mineral spirits,
                    > cutting rounds of Saran Wrap and rounds of cardboard, and finally
                    > storing extra ink outside the can in "off-site" wafers of litho
                    > board and celo tape, I think I will remain with simply lifting the
                    > lid off the Pyrex food storage bowl and access perfect ink without
                    > the additional efforts which would tax my advanced decrepitude.
                    >
                    > I have been using this method for six months or more, and the ink
                    > is as fresh and ready as the day I bought it. No skimming, no other
                    > tasks but to place it on the stone and give it some exercise. It
                    > does require replacing the lid on the can and the Pyrex cannister,
                    > but I can usually manage that.
                    >
                    > Norman L. McKnight
                    > Philoxenia Press
                    > Berkeley

                    > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                    > • Encountering problems? contact:
                    > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    > • To unsubscribe:

                  • Norman L McKnight
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                      Elias:

                      I couldn't locate where you are, but Pyrex is a trade name for oven-
                      proof glass cookware; they also make glass containers for storing
                      foods in the refrigerator. These are also ovenproof, but they have
                      a plastic, tightly sealed lid which keeps out the air and preserves
                      the food. These are not the cheap plastic containers which are also
                      available and not very secure. The glass containers are very tight
                      and I have never had a problem. I think being airtight they would
                      work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
                      with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
                      glass containers. I am only speaking from personal experience, and
                      the frustration of having lost much ink while getting rid of the
                      mess on top of the can when skinning occurs. I now open the container
                      to a creamy, smooth ink just as it came from the manufacturer.
                      These containers must be available in the UK, Europe and elsewhere,
                      perhaps under a different name. The key is to have a very tight fit
                      which keeps out the air.

                      Norman L. McKnight
                      Philoxenia Press
                      Berkeley
                    • paul white
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                        Has anyone thought of vacuum pumps? I know there are vacuum machines
                        for food storage.
                        -Paul White

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                          Norman

                          Actually, anything that will completely block oxygen will work. Even water. Photo
                          folks use a "nitrogen blanket" to protect their various chemicals. Comes in a spray can. Heavier than air. Works well.

                          Gerald

                          fromI think being airtight they would
                          > work for any ink subject to skinning. Air gets into the cans even
                          > with tape and skin papers, but I have had no such problem with these
                          > glass containers....
                          > Norman L. McKnight
                          > Philoxenia Press
                          > Berkeley
                        • E Roustom
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                            > The glass containers are very tight
                            > and I have never had a problem.

                            Somewhat on the fringe as far worries are concerned - but how light
                            sensitive is the ink as a mass - is using a clear glass container a problem,
                            especially with Pantones? Anyone know, or want to guess?

                            Elias
                          • Norman L McKnight
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                              Elias:

                              I didn't mean to imply that I emptied the cans directly into a
                              glass container; I simply place a skin paper on the clean surface
                              of the ink in the can, place the entire can into the glass container
                              and close its air-tight lid. Nothing more is needed, not even tape
                              around the lid of the can.

                              Norman