Re: Thursday, 11/29

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2001
      Dear Terry

      Might be something wrong with the way your email is configured as when
      I click on the URL to Strange Ross's website it pops right up.

      I don't recall the reference to _Digital Book Design and Publishing_
      by Douglas Holleley as posted on this list. At any rate, it can be ordered
      direct from the author at

      http://www.clarellen.com

      or from the Cary Graphic Arts Press at

      http://wally.rit.edu/cary/carypress.html

      The post regarding hot stamping with photopolymer did not appear on
      this list. Was posted a bit back on Book_Arts-L by Harold Kyle. Very
      good, up to date info. Hopefully he will repost it here!

      Sorry, I don't know of any Bay area resources for used printmaking
      presses. You might try the San Francisco Bay Area Letterpress Guild at

      All best

      Ger

      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., "RICHARD HORRIGAN" <PROTEANPRESS@w...>

    • harold@boxcarpress.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
        Sorry it's taken a while to re-post the polymer foil stamping info--
        busy week. This is what I posted a month or two back to
        Book_Arts-L on the subject:

        They work alright when used at the leisurely pace of Kwik-prints,
        Kingsleys, and Kensols. They aren't suited for foil stamping at
        high speeds (say, in Kluges) because they take too long to re-
        heat between impressions. You can mount them with pressure-
        sensitive adhesive onto a brass bar stock (or similar material) to
        fit them in the chase.

        If anyone is interested, I sell raw plates, adhesive, and custom
        sizes of brass bar stock. The water-wash polymer I use and sell,
        made by Jet, costs $32 for an A4 (8.25x11.75) steel-backed plate
        with .037 face relief and "Super Hard" 90 Shore D Hardness.
        They can take temperatures up to 360 degress F, whereas the
        less expensive letterpress plates delaminate around 280. The
        polymer is the same material, but it has a different adhesive
        holding it to the steel backing. Contact me off-list for further
        information on any of these products.

        If you're not set up for making photopolymer plates, then I can
        process plates as well. I charge a $25 minimum or $0.80/
        square inch for hot foil plates (compared to $0.55 for letterpress
        plates).

        I'm producing my 2002 catalog which lists these services in
        more detail. My products are mainly for the digital letterpress
        printer. Contact me if you'd like to receive a copy when it's ready
        later this year.

        If anyone has additional questions, please let me know.

        Harold