Re: [PPLetterpress] Kreene

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
      If you're using a film with propper density (hold it up to light over head
      at at a distance, or a windonw from across the room - can you see you
      through the black? You shouldn't be able to) Exposure ranges from 2 to 4
      minutes depending on the type of plate you're using, and the strength of you
      light, and sometimes on what you're exposing (longer for fine type and
      halftones, less for large shapes). I expose most everything (Jet LSL 145) at
      3.5 minutes.

      e.

      > From: "Ed Inman" <edinman@...>
      > Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:33:10 -0600
      > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Kreene
      >
      > OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
      > should be here in a day or two.
      > Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently my
      > exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of six
      > UV lamps.
      > Ed

    • L.A. Book Arts, Inc
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2003
        The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts, about 2 inch distance to the
        glass plate, I use a harder BASF plate mainly with a deep relief,
        exposer time is about 2.30 min for letterpress plates.

        The vacuum and the flawless contact of the film to the plate is key.
        You can always washout the plate in warm water with a brush from Boxcar
        press.
        charles

        On Nov 13, 2003, at 8:33 AM, Ed Inman wrote:

        > OK--I ordered some Kreene from Boxcar Press and will give it a try. It
        > should be here in a day or two.
        > Can anyone tell me how this material affects exposure time? Currently
        > my
        > exposures are only about 30 seconds under plate glass with a series of
        > six
        > UV lamps.
        > Ed

        ------------------------------------
        L.A Book Arts, Inc.
        The Custom Bindery
        Krause Intaglio
        310.360.7265
        www.Custombindery.com
        ------------------------------------
      • joeleoleol
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2003
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "L.A. Book Arts, Inc"
          <livres@a...> wrote:
          > The UV Lamps should be about 34 watts...

          Aha! This may explain my exposure times of 5 - 6 minutes- when it
          should only take 3-1/2. My bulbs are 20W...

          In answer to Ed's original question, the only way to be sure of your
          exposure is to test using a Stouffer (sp?) scale. It's good to test
          periodically, I am told, to watch for the UV bulbs wearing out. I
          guess they eventually start putting out less and less UV, so you need
          to adjust your exposure times accordingly. The Stouffer scale is a
          little strip of film with halftone-like dots of varying density.

          Joel Benson
          Dependable Letterpress
          San Francisco