Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Halftones

  • E Roustom
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 11, 2003
      > letterpress plates tend
      > to "drop out" completely to white at much below 15 to 20 percent.

      3% (if you're brave), but 5% will generally do the job - up to 133 LPI is
      all I can vouch for. But I also think the high end needs to brought down too
      - the black can't be 100%. As for LPI on the C&P, I wouldn't push my luck -
      yet the C&P catalogue that came with my 1919 8x12 shows halftone images of
      the presses and the factory (85, maybe 100 LPI) and these are beautiful.
      The colophon reads: "... [P]rinted on C&P Gordon presses. Paper, plates
      and type are of average high quality. Make ready and press work represent
      neither unusual experience nor exceptional effort. Work of this kind can be
      produced on the C&P press by any practical printer who works with quality in
      mind."
      One day, just for fun I will try it.